Krakow


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
April 20th 2010
Published: April 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We ventured again on a train from Prague to Krakow. The trip took a tedious 8 hours but the train was relatively modern and it was cheap. We decided to stay in apartment accommodation with ‘Apartments Apart.’ Our apartment was called Cracovia 2 and cost 193 euro for 3 nights. Apartment accommodation was fantastic, a very modern apartment with fully equipped kitchen, laundry, separate bedrooms and wifi. It was also about a 20min walk from the old Town and had neighbouring dairies and restaurants. I would strongly recommend ‘Apartments Apart’ for any traveller going to Krakow.

We had a high of 8 degrees for both days we spent in Krakow, but that did not detract from this city. The first thing we noticed about Poland was the friendliness of the people. The Poles have been the most helpful European nationality that we have encountered so far. Random strangers would willingly translate for us on the street and the moment you opened a map passersby would give you directions. We also noticed that Poland is relatively cheap, you can find a two course lunch for $11NZD.

Our first stop was to Wawel cathedral and the castle. We decided we would experiment with the audio guide. I have always been sceptical of such devices and I was determined to never be the muppet tourist with a head-set, but I was proven wrong! The guide was great and made what would be ‘just another church’ into a real learning and exploring experience. I will never bad mouth audio guides again.

Krakow also has a real fire breathing dragon, I can guarantee that this thing fried some pigeons in its time.
We then decided to take a ‘golf cart’ tour around the sights of Krakow and visit the Jewish quarter or Kazimeriz. First stop was Schindler’s Factory, I’m afraid to say that this was a disappointment. The museum consisted of 10 billboards in one room and the only photo opportunity was the plaque on the wall. We then bounced off in our buggy to explore the Jewish quarter. Prior to WWII there were 65,000 Jews living in the Jewish quarter, now that number has been reduced to 500. We saw several synagogues, now all inactive and left to wreck and ruin after the Nazi occupation. We ventured inside one, there were several remembrance plaques of the families who once worshipped there and also a historic cemetery. The area of the Jewish ghetto is a sad and eerie place, you can envisage the struggles and horrors these people have suffered. This provided a good back-drop for our visit to Auschwitz-Birkenhau the next day.

Krakow also has some great historical buildings, walks, gardens, and a lively market place. It is also Europe’s first centrally planned city, whilst the traffic is appalling you can get around Krakow on foot without hassle. Tips for travellers: Always book city tours etc through an official information centre and shop around to get a taxi.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Commeration of the Katyn MassacreCommeration of the Katyn Massacre
Commeration of the Katyn Massacre

This was a massacre of several Polish Military officers by the Soviets during WWII.
Jewish SynagogueJewish Synagogue
Jewish Synagogue

Note the power saver bulbs instead of candles!
Jewish CemetaryJewish Cemetary
Jewish Cemetary

All of the headstones had these little covers on them. The rocks on the headstones held down notes from loved ones.
St Mary's BasilicaSt Mary's Basilica
St Mary's Basilica

The towers of this building was built by two brothers; one of the brothers became jealous that the other was making more progress so he killed him.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb