Krakow, Jewel of Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
August 12th 2003
Published: August 12th 2003
Edit Blog Post

Rynek GlówneyRynek GlówneyRynek Glówney

The market is to the right.
In the south of Poland lies a jewel. Krakow is a beautiful city, full of bars, squares restaurants and also has many interesting exhibitions and concerts. It seems that Krakow escaped the bombing and destruction that hit Warsaw.

The main square is a wonderful place for the tourist; bars, restaurants and cafes surround the perimeter. The square, Rynek Glówney, is about 800m wide and is the largest medival town square in Europe. Towards the southern end lies a market hall where good quality souviners can be purchased at very reasonable prices. I bought a really nice wooden chess set, board about 50cm across, and pieces about 4cm high for around £10 (60 Zlot).

Just outside the main town is Wawel Hill. On the top a castle and cathederal sit.

Make sure you have a ticket everytime you use the trams or buses. The controllers do not accept the “I’m just a tourist and couldn’t work out the system” excuse. It didn’t happen to me but I met several people who had been escorted off the bus and marched to cash machines.

I’ve left it so long to write this that I’ve forgotten what I did, apart from the visit to Auschwitz, but I had an excellent time and hope to go back one day. I’ll let my photos do the rest of the talking for Krakow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Krakow TramKrakow Tram
Krakow Tram

Watch out for the controllers!


17th May 2006

Kraków
Yup thath's what i call satisfaction. Im glad u liked Kraków. It's one of the most beautiful places in Poland. U should've visited Zakopane (in the mountains) and Mazury (huge complex of the lakes in the north-east of poland) and of course Malbork - place with really interesting history :)

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb