Krakow


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
August 9th 2008
Published: August 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Krakow has proved to be a great place to start our trip. Our hostel was nice and there were a lot of fun, young people staying there. We have met people from all over: E.g., Massachusetts, New Zealand, France, UK, Ireland, California, Finland. Our hostel is right in the Main Market Square/Old Town. There are many restauracjas on the outskirts of the courtyard a lot going on. Cloth Hall, right in the middle of the square, is being renovated but contains famous 19th Century Polish art. The main alter piece at St. Mary's Church is one of the best Gothic sculptures in Poland.

The first night I just hung out in the hostel common area because I was beat after almost 48 hours of traveling. The next day Kip and I went out to see some of the local sights. First, we went to the Wawel Castle and Cathedral. This is the main draw for tourists and it was quite interesting.

We also walked over to Kazamierz, the former Jewish quarter, just outside of Old Town. We also went to the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, Poland's oldest baroque church. Later that night we tried to go to a concert there (Mozart and Chopin) but it started pouring down rain. So, we ran for shelter inside of another church close by and, ultimately, went and had a beer instead. At least we had good intentions!

That night we went out with a few people from our hostel. I will say that while Krakow is beautiful the main draw seems to be the nightlife. Most of the backpackers we have met are younger and have stopped off here, it seems, for no other reason than the bar scene.

On Saturday it was raining most of the day, so we decided to go check out one of the local coffee houses. After the rain died down we went back out and saw some more sights. It seems I've talked a lot about rain, but the weather here has been great. It is usually a high in the upper-70s and a low in the low-60s.

Today we went to Auschwitz and it was definitely a very sobering experience. It was hard to believe were actually standing at a place where so many heinous crimes took place.

Tonight we are planning to go to church at St. Mary's and then catch a night train to Budapest. I'll check back in with everyone then!


Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wawel CastleWawel Castle
Wawel Castle

View from the top
Wawel CastleWawel Castle
Wawel Castle

Kip and I at the base of the castle
Church of Saints Paul and PeterChurch of Saints Paul and Peter
Church of Saints Paul and Peter

We came back to try to catch a concert, but ended up having a beer instead
Main Market SquareMain Market Square
Main Market Square

There is marketing for American movies all over the place
Main Market SquareMain Market Square
Main Market Square

St. Mary's Church
Main Market SquareMain Market Square
Main Market Square

There are tons of restaurants with patio seating surrounding the courtyard
Main Market SquareMain Market Square
Main Market Square

There is always something random going on


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0763s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb