Krakow


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
August 6th 2007
Published: September 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

GrodskaGrodskaGrodska

Main Street
Our last day in London was beautiful and sunny Sunday which we spent relaxing by the Thames. We were starting to think that after a horrible start to the summer the weather might be changing...perhaps we should stay? Well, when we woke up on Monday to fly to Krakow, the weather was foul again and when we hopped of the plane it was a sunny 25 degrees and we knew that we had made the right decision. Adam was rejoicing in the fact that I had lost my voice after a decent bout of the flu. It would take about 2 weeks to come back properly...how was the serenity Adam?

Krakow really is a beautiful city. Most of the tourists tend to hang near the Old Town. The Main Square is the largest medieval town square of any European city and there is certainly always something going on. We were staying a little out of the centre in Kazimierz, the old Jewish Quarter, which was a little more our pace. This is where we also found our first interesting lunch of the trip...it only took about 3 hours. Now, I know that most of you think that all Adam and
Jane in Rynek GłównyJane in Rynek GłównyJane in Rynek Główny

Main square in old city
I ever do is eat and drink when we travel, and this assumption would be correct, but sometimes eating is an experience in itself! We found a small peasants kitchen near the hostel and after realising that we couldn´t speak Polish ordered something that was kinda like the biggest piece of pork you have ever seen and cabbage x 2. I was a little dubious but Adam assured me that it was tasty and surprisingly it was. The little man in the kitchen was watching us eagerly during the whole ordeal and when we gave him the thumbs up it brought a huge smile to his face.

Met up with Graham and Katsia who had come down for a visit and we headed the Wawel Hill, where the royal castle is located. We can now officially say that we have been in a Dragon´s Den, where apparently the Wawel Dragon laired before the city was populated. He must be pretty famous, there are dragons everywhere in Krakow. The next day we made the trip out to Auschwitz and Birkenau to see the site of the Nazi concentration camps. It was a very sobering experience being at the site where so many people had lost their lives. Although we don´t tend to do tours, we decided to go on the guided tour to really give it a context that we never could.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Big Graz in KraksBig Graz in Kraks
Big Graz in Kraks

Tallest man in Poland
Wawel CastleWawel Castle
Wawel Castle

Where Prince Krak lived with his dragon!
Ads in the dragons lairAds in the dragons lair
Ads in the dragons lair

Beneath Wawel Castle
MMMMM....MMMMM....
MMMMM....

Piwo Truck


Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb