Opening Ceremonies


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
July 5th 2007
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we attended the 38th Inauguration of the Szkola Jezyka i Kultury Polskiej Uniwersytetu Jagiellonskiego (School of Polish Culture and Language at the Jagiellonian University). We were welcomed to the Jagiellonian University, where we will have our morning language classes and after lectures (history, literature, economics, etc.). This inauguration took place in the Aula Magna (one of the large lecture halls) at the Collegium Novum. Lecture halls here are very beautiful and nothing like those in the States. Because this university was founded in 1364, the Poles value all that is inside, and the treasures are many. Drinking and eating in the lecture halls are not an option; there are just too many valuable pieces of art which could be destroyed. Our keynote speaker for this event was Professor Anders Bodegard from Stockholm Swededn who gave a lecture called "Translating Three Translators of the World: Czeslaw Milosc, Wislawa Szymborska, and Ryszard Kapucinski." His lecture was delivered using a mixture of languages: Polish, English, and Swedish. It was a bit hard to follow, but we found value in it.

After this, we took our language placement exams. We were then placed in classes according to our aptitude for reading, writng, speaking, and understanding the Polish language. I must say I did better than I had expected. David did exactly as he expected. The language classes are very difficult; they are taught completely in Polish. No English is allowed. David is having a very hard time with this, but he is managing and is motivated. I have a hard time with the length of classes - five hours in length every day of the week. They go by fast, but I am exhausted in the end. I have to listen intently while the professor is speaking; she speaks very quickly.

Our afternoon classes are interesting. We have a different professor every two lectures. All are specialists in their fields and are from both inside and outside of Poland. It is nice to have the change of lecturers.

After we finished our placements exams, we had an opportunity to view the Collegium Maius and its museum. This is the oldest part of the Jagiellonian University that was built in 1400. It houses many medieval instruments, including those used by Copernicus (one of the many well known Polish academics). It was really a great feeling to be in a university that is 607 years old. The tour gave us great information about the university's first departments: theology, philosophy, law, and medicine.

David and I took a great many photos, and you can view some of these here. We are exhausted now, so we will "sign off" and update you in a few days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb