Auschwitz, Poland


Advertisement
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Auschwitz
August 31st 2009
Published: October 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I took a daytrıp by myself to Auschwıtz as Emıly told me she could not handle goıng. I would say ıt was defınately one of the thıngs I was most ınterested ın doıng ın Europe. Of course there are so many books and movıes wrıtten about the holocaust you could say ´Yeah yeah I know I know´, but actually seeıng ıt ın person was some what lıfe changıng. Seeıng the realıty of ı... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

SS BoothSS Booth
SS Booth

Booth where the SS were responsible for conducting roll call.
GallowGallow
Gallow

The first commandant of Auschwitz SS-Obersturmbannführer Rudolf Höss was sentenced to death after the war by the Polish Supreme National Tribunal and was hanged here on April 16, 1947.
CrematoriumCrematorium
Crematorium

From August 15, 1943 to July 1943 the SS used this building as a crematorium. In the autumn of 1941 the largest room was adapted fur use as an improvised gas chamber, the first of its kind in Auschwitz. Using the gas produced by the pellets of Zyklon B many thousands of Jews were murdered here by the SS winthin hours of their arrival at Auschwitz. After the establishment of Auschwitz II - Birkenau four purpose built gas chambers were built and the gassings here gradually stopped. This is the only gas chamber that remains. The other four at Auschwitz II - Birkenau were destroyed when the SS learned that the camps were about to be liberated and destroyed these gas chambers to try to hide the evidence of what they had done.
RailroadRailroad
Railroad

These were the tracks used to transport the prisoners to Auschwitz II - Birkenau.
ToiletsToilets
Toilets

Prisoners were only allowed to use these toilets in the morning before labor and in the evening after work was completed. Many people soiled themselves because of starvation diarrea. Prisoners also had to clean these toilets from the inside. This job was considered ideal because they became so smelly that the SS gaurds would not want to go over to beat them because their odor was so foul. Also they would not allow the doors to the toilet barracks to be opened as more of a punishment to the prisoners here.
Housing BarracksHousing Barracks
Housing Barracks

Adapted from the field stable of the German Army. Prisoners were housed in one barrack instead of 52 hourses for which these barracks were designed.
BarracksBarracks
Barracks

Barracks were equipped with two kinds of tree-level wooden bunks. At least 5-6 people would have to squeeze into one level of the bunks. Often the prisoners had no blankets or padding. The walls were also thin, not insulated and not constructed for cold winters in Poland many times people would die in winters because of temperatures.
HeatingHeating
Heating

The SS supplied a heating stove, but they did not supply any materials to heat the barracks. These were merely just for looks. Some prisoners would try to find their own wood and they were able to light these heating stoves.



19th October 2009

thank you
thank you for going. and taking pictures.
25th October 2009

What a horrible place.
2nd November 2009

Unimaginable.
I can't imagine what must have been going through your head during this experience. So sad and disturbing.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb