Bergen to Oslo via Flåm


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
June 22nd 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

This is the more traditional way to travel between Bergen and Oslo. Up bright and early to catch the ferry to Flåm (Pronounced "Flomb", apparently it used to be Flaam.) This travels along the Sognefjord which is the longest and deepest fjord in Norway (and the world!). The trip takes nearly 5 and a 1/2 hours and has some magnificent scenery. It was raining a lot of the way so the front deck was very blustery but the back deck wasn't too bad when I was taking photos. Andy spent a lot of time outside whilst I sat in comfort inside.

At Flåm we had a couple of hours to look around before the Flam train To Myrdal (apparently pronounced ""murder") They had an interesting museum of the building of the Flåm and souvenir shops.

The village of Flåm, since the late 19th century has been a tourist destination. It currently receives almost 450,000 visitors a year. Most visitors ride the 20-kilometre (12 mi) line between Flåm and Myrdal, one of the steepest railway tracks at 1 in 18.

At Myrdal station (which is all there is) we had about an hours wait for the train to Oslo. There is a lot of snow at Myrdal and some amazing scenery. Andy has been leaping off at each stop to take pictures.

We get to Oslo at about 11:00 pm and are then changing trains for part 2 or this adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb