Bergen to Oslo


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway
August 20th 2017
Published: August 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Friday 18th August - Sunny Bergen !!!

We decided to make the most of the outdoors and go up Mt Floyen, in the funicular. It took us an hour in the queue, as everyone else had the same idea, and a 6 minute ride to the top. The view was over the city was amazing - 2 cruise ships in port. We had a bite of lunch, then walked around in the forest at the top, to the lake and back in time to see the Hurtigruten ship arrive in port (2.30pm). We enjoyed just sitting in the sun people-watching for a while, then went down and walked to Bergenhus Fortress - one of the oldest and best preserved in Norway. From there we walked along the foreshore - the old area of Bryggen - and back to our hotel for an early dinner. The Bergen Symphony Orchestra put on its 2nd outdoor concert from 7pm - 8pm, and were playing classical music - mainly Grieg. The sun continued to shine until 6.55pm, when the rain started and continued until the concert finished at 8pm, when the sun came out again !!! We stood with everyone else - raincoats on and umbrellas up. That is Bergen weather....

Saturday 19th August - Bergen to Oslo.

The day started off fine, but by the time we left the hotel late morning, it had started raining again..... we caught the 11.59 train to Oslo. The first 2 hours were the same as the trip 2 days ago - as far as Myrdal, except it was cloudy and not so good for photos. From Myrdal the train climbed up to Finse at 1222m above sea level, where we were above the treeline in the mountains. It was only 7 degrees outside, and cloudy and grey. People up here were cycling or hiking at this time of year and skiing in winter. There were what looked like holiday houses scattered everywhere, and larger buildings - hotels or lodges. There were many lakes at this altitude too, and boggy marshes. Still quite a lot of snow around. From here, the line descended to sea level over the next 2.5 hours, back to trees and farms, houses and towns and eventually Oslo at 7.15pm.

A Hong Kong Chinese family got on at Myrdal and sat opposite us. After the mountainous area has passed, they asked if we would like to play cards with them. Lee joined in and learned how to play UNO. It helped pass the time and was also interesting talking to them. By the time we arrived in Oslo it was 20 degrees and sunny. Our hotel was a 15 min walk from the Railway Station, and room comfortable and larger than some we've had.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb