Europa 2013


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » The Hague
July 29th 2013
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The HagueThe HagueThe Hague

Carlton Ambassador Hotel
This morning we said goodbye to magnificent Amsterdam. We will return!

Ron collected us from our hotel this morning and delivered us to our hotel in the centre of The Hague. It is a gorgeous hotel that sits on an avenue lined with chestnut trees and beautiful old embassy buildings. A peaceful, quiet setting. We hadn't been there 10 minutes when my sister Anne and brother-in-law Ric, also holidaying in Holland, picked us up with my cousin Nel for an afternoon in the city. Did it feel strange to see my big sister half way round the other side of the world? Not one bit!

The city of The Hague has it's own unique style. Although just an hour away from Amsterdam it is quite different. Although it has many of the same style houses that you see in Amsterdam overall the architecture is quite different. The city proper is much smaller and the population far less dense. The Hague has 'suburbs' where Amsterdam is just one big sprawling city. The Hague is also from where the country is run so it is where you will find parliament and all important government departments.

We stopped for coffee (The
The HagueThe HagueThe Hague

Royal Palace.
Dutch drink coffee like there is no tomorrow.) and then Nel gave us a quick walk though the city so we could get our bearings for the week ahead. Stopped at a pancake restaurant and had traditional Dutch bacon and apple pancakes covered with syrup for lunch. Yum! Thought Clive might baulk at the prospect but no he tucked right in! After lunch did some very important gift shopping for family in Australia. There were a few requests . . . . Afterwards we headed off to Nel's apartment for afternoon tea and dinner. Nel lives on the eighth floor of a lovely apartment block. Her home is beautiful and has the most amazing view of parkland. She even has glimpses of Delft in the distance! It was a delightful afternoon and evening with wonderful company. We caught the tram back to the hotel after dinner. (The tram system in Holland is magic. Works like a dream.) I'm proposing a semi rest day tomorrow. Probably won't happen!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The HagueThe Hague
The Hague

Clive, Anne, Ric and Nel eating pancakes for lunch. Yum!


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb