Hague Museums


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » The Hague
April 24th 2005
Published: April 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Reverse of a Framed PaintingReverse of a Framed PaintingReverse of a Framed Painting

An interesting work by Gijsbrechts; a painting with two backs. I like this guy's sense of humor.
Another great day...apparently having a totally sunny weekeend is a major blessing around here, so I made sure to get an early start to maximize the day. Yup, I was up at the bright and early hour of 1:30 pm. Incredible, I know.

I headed straight to Mauritshuis to go get cultured. There was a great exhibit of the works of Cornelius Gijsbrechts called 'The Eye Deceived.' Old Cornelius was a master of trompe-l'oeils, which are painted scenes meant to deceive the eye. Some examples are his painting that looks like the back of a painting (hung with the support wires twisted, to suggest the real work is on the other side) and a painting of a glass cabinet door that you can open. Painted on the backside is the flip view of objects like pens and letters stuck to the 'window.'

Of course, there were also the works of Johannes Vermeer, including of course 'The Girl with a Pearl Earring.' Good stuff.

Despite my early start, the other good museums were closing down so I didn't have time to get my money's worth. Next chance I get though, I'm gonna check out the M.C. Escher exhibit, the
Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl EarringVermeer's Girl with a Pearl EarringVermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring

Ya can't go anywhere around here without seeing this piece. The Dutch just loooove their pearl earring girls. It's a little off-center because there was a veritable museum mosh pit in front of this thing.
Mesdag Panorama, and the prison museum. I know, meaningless to you now, but now you've got something to look forward to!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Rembrandt, a self-portrait?Rembrandt, a self-portrait?
Rembrandt, a self-portrait?

Apparently, this could be a Rembrandt van Rijn self-portrait, but it contrasts stylistically and with x-ray imaging of a silimar work in Nuremburg known to be legit. Scandalous.
Mauritshuis StairsMauritshuis Stairs
Mauritshuis Stairs

Cool view up the ornate stairs to the top floor of Mauritshuis. Notice the painting on the ceiling.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb