Holland: The Place for Beginners Bike Touring


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Province of Utrecht » Utrecht
September 20th 2008
Published: September 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Pit Stop on LF 21Pit Stop on LF 21Pit Stop on LF 21

Paul and Sara stop to enjoy the view from LF21.
After 270 miles of riding, I'm certain that the Netherlands is the best place for one to try out bike touring for the first time. Here's why:

1. The Knooppunkt system and LF Route network: It is very easy to find your way cross country by bike in the Netherlands. The country is covered with a network of bikeroutes called 'LF routes'. Just check your LF map or a map online and decide which route number to follow. The routes are well marked with signs posted everywhere.
Don't want to follow a route? Thats ok too! Holland is also covered with places called "knooppunkts'. These are basically numbered waypoints throughout the country. At almost every knooppuunkt location stands a map of the region showing all of these numbers. Just choose which Knooppunkt you want to bike to next and follow the signs to that location. You can make up your route as you go practically without a map. (Although a map has come in handy during several times of confusion so I would recommend bringing one along).
This system is so easy, it almost takes the fun out of navigating yourself. We've found that these LF routes were
Bike Paths through ForestsBike Paths through ForestsBike Paths through Forests

LF 21 took an excursion through a young forest.
intelligently planned, taking you through scenic areas and sidetrips into picturesque towns. It's like we have a tourguide; we follow the whims of the route and are always suprised where it takes us.

2. Flat: I can't emphasize this enough. We've haven't had to shift from our middle chainring this entire trip. (On a side note: it turns out that all of this steady peddaling on easy terrain has been very therapeudic for my surgery knee. It is much stronger now and has better range of motion.)

3. Bikes always have there own special "road":
Many times we've had our own personal bike-onramp when getting onto a bustling bridge.
Handcranked ferry...no cars allowed! (see Paul's entry)
To cross the street in urban areas, you have to look both ways 3 times...once for the busy bike path, once for the street for cars, and once more for the busy bike path on the other side of the street.

The Netherlands have been a perfect introduction into biketouring abroad. But I sorta miss conquering a good hill and then flying back down the other side. I also miss the challenge of navigating oneself over a long
Evening Ride to the FerriesEvening Ride to the FerriesEvening Ride to the Ferries

Paul rides down a bumpy cobblestone path on the way to the ferries.
distance. You get a better understanding of the region that way. Of course, ask me again when we hit up Bavaria and the Black Forest and see what I say...

Advertisement



20th September 2008

your tour
Nice to read that you have enjoyed your bike-tour in NL! You did some nice typical Dutch countryside! I have done myself some parts of your tour years ago and all though I am Dutchman myself and enjoyed the landscape and so on, I am becoming more aware of it that it must be nice also to foreigners like you both. Thank you for your postings and have a safe and nice trip further on!
21st September 2008

Keep on blogging
I just found this link a couple days ago. I have read all of it, and it has been fun traveling along with you. It's nice to know your safe and your knee is getting better. Travel on Sara and Paul, and best wishes for a truly exciting experience. Love, Aunt Geri

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb