Afgan in the Dam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland
September 21st 2009
Published: November 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

In the middle of July, on the week of the 16, I was blessed to get a visit from the almighty Langa (Afgan/Humaira). I met her at the Amsterdam central train station on a fine summer’s eve. We caught the tram together and spoke merrily about sweet nothings.

In the evening her brother Suleman and his friend came over and I cooked them a Dutch dinner. Then we went to the city centre to watch drag queen Bingo. The drag queen running the show was pretty drunk.

He/she was also quite fond of Suleman and kept chatting him up and dragging him up on stage.

The next day we went to check out Amsterdam and the city centre, which Shetal also joined us for. We had some tasty Ethopian food for dinner and then ice cream which was super filling. I took Afgan on her first coffeeshop experience.

Zansche Schaans was the port of call the following day. It’s probably my third or fourth time here, but it was one of the most liveliest. I think most of the village opens up during summer - so its quite fun to see all the windmills in action, the cheese tasting and clog making. We even got to try walking around on stilts and riding old school bikes.

Back in town we had some frittes (fries) for lunch with the tasty Dutch mayonnaise. We had some more time walking around Amsterdam.
My friend had told me about an Afgan restaurant, Mantoe which he had been to and said there was nice food there. It was a bit pricey but quite tasty and a good way to finish off our times together. The following day Afgan left to fly and meet her sister in London. It was some good times of unity between the great Wakka and Langa chiefs.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb