Irenehoeve cheese farm and Volendam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Volendam
January 2nd 2009
Published: April 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On January 2, the year of 2009 me and Nadia ventured to a farm called Irenehoeve. Its a farm where Gouda cheese is being produced. They revealed all details about cheese making. Thereafter they showed us the process of making clogs (or wooden shoes). We got to taste all the 9 different kinds of cheeses (with a bit of mustard) accompanied by a locally produced berry fruit wine. The guy who worked there actually told us about his new years too as when we got the tour we pretty much were the only ones there.

Before we got to do the tour there was a contiki bus that went through and got a tour so we decided to do the tour ourselves and play around with the cheeses.

After the cheese farm as it was getting late in the afternoon and we werent too far we decided to make our way up to Volendam. Originally, Volendam was the location of the harbor of the nearby Edam, which was situated at the mouth of the river IJe. In 1357, the inhabitants of Edam dug a shorter canal to the Zuiderzee with its own separate harbor. This removed the need for the original harbor, which was then dammed and used for land reclamation. Farmers and local fishermen settled there, forming the new community of Volendam, which literally meant something like 'Filled dam'. The majority of the population belongs to the Roman Catholic Church, which is deeply connected to the village culture. Historically, many missionaries and bishops grew up in Volendam.

As it was a port town I suggested Nadia try some herring as she had not yet had the pleasure - plus I had told her how much dad had enjoyed it. Well lets just say she did not enjoy it like dad did. Haha but I helped her finish it off. Then we found a bronze lady by the sea before having a romantic watch of the sunset finish over the water.
It was a nice day all in all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



8th July 2009

Not the Simonehoeve
Hi, The cheese farm in your article is not called the Simonehoeve but the Irenehoeve......
22nd July 2009

RE: De Simonehoeve
Hi Simon, Thanks for the update. I got the name from a guidebook so thanks for pointing that out:) Sorry for the mistake.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb