What happens in Amsterdam...


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
September 29th 2006
Published: January 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

NOTE: Due to computer issues (again!) I don't have any pictures for this blog. Hopefully I do have pictures for later (I am having trouble reading my photo disc). Just as well as I don't have many photos from our time in Amsterdam anyway.

The last stop on our tour was Amsterdam. We took on last dip back into Germany on our way. Leaving Switzerland, we ducked into Austria and then into Germany. However on the way to the Rhineland, we ducked into France, stopping in Strasbourg for a quick lunch, a visit to the cathedral, and a ride on the local carousel (in the rain). We also got chased down and stopped by French customs, but they let us off without any issues. Back in Germany, we stopped in Heidelborg for a few hours. This is mainly a university town. It boasts the longest shopping street in Europe (2 km), with many of the shops catering to tourists and providing souvenirs. There is also a castle in the middle of town (shocking), which we trekked up to and wandered for about an hour. After supper we headed to nearby Mannheim where we overnighted.

The next day we took an early morning cruise up the Rhine River. The river is ~1,300 km long and is very scenic along the way. There are many vineyards built up the hillside along the way, with small towns dotting the countryside. Our cruise only covered a very small area in the middle. It started near a rock called Lorelai Rock, which was named after the legend of Lorelai. The legend is that this beautiful girl sat atop the rock and sang to lure the sailors to their deaths on the rocks below. Nice girl!

After the cruise, we continued towards Amsterdam, stopping for a quick lunch and a view of another cathedral in Cologne. We also made another quick stop in a small fishing village outside of Amsterdam called Vollendam. Everything that the Netherlands is famous for was encountered on our way there - the dutch windmills, the tulip fields, and the old men on bicycles (unfortunately they weren't wearing their cloggies!). This village is situated on a fresh water lake that was created from a break off of the sea water. We only had a short visit, with enough time to enjoy some poffriges (mini pancakes) - yum!

Amsterdam, what can I say. The city is very interesting and full of culture all to its own. Definitely a place worth visiting at least once in a lifetime. After our dinner at an Asian floating restaurant, we headed into the Red Light District for our "unofficial" excursion. I've heard all about the Red Light District before, but it is another thing to experience it. We were not allowed to take pictures, but fair enough, I don't think I would want any! I had my first, and most likely my last, experience at a live sex show. As disgusting as it sounds, it was actually pretty boring and we spent most of the time waiting for our cue to leave. Our travels also took us into the nearby Erotica Museum. All this said, the seedy stuff is only a small part of what Amsterdam had to offer. I had a visit of the Anne Frank Museum, which was well worth it. Some others took in the Van Gogh Museum and the Heineken Brewery. We finished off our tour, and Amsterdam, with a night out, including a cruise in the canals drinking wine and eating special "happy" cake and a visit to the infamous coffee shops. A good time was had by all.

The next day we said our goodbyes to some new found friends and ventured back across to end our tour in London.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb