Why Architects Can't Help Falling in Love with Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
January 18th 2016
Published: January 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

My first trip to Amsterdam has made it clear to me, why it’s the first place that comes to mind when someone mentions Netherlands. This is one of those places where it's impossible to not get overwhelmed, especially for us architects.

Because of Renaissance architecture, numerous canals, modern and contemporary architecture and bike friendly culture, I would, without a doubt, recommend Amsterdam as the number one stop when traveling to Europe.

This is the city where modern architecture grew organically between historical buildings. What makes Amsterdam even more attractive to architects and architecture enthusiasts is that all places of interest are distributed in a relatively small radius, so it’s not too much hassle to visit them all in an acceptable period of time.



Along the canal rings are the strings of narrow, really really narrow historical houses. Narrow is the result of lack of space, and it permeates everything, from windows to inside stairs. I was amazed with the amount of details such as cranes on almost every facade, which people use for transportation of goods, furniture and whatnot.

Also the way the historical spirit is being preserved - some houses are literally leaning due to aging, but they are reinforced and supported by interesting constructions.

I can honestly say that behind every corner architecture is more and more inviting so at one moment I didn’t know anymore whether to just absorb and try to remember everything or to continue taking photos like mad. Every photo turns out as a postcard!

I got so carried away, I almost got hit by a bike a couple of times. I’ve said it once, but I’ll say it again, their bike system is incredibly well organized (the same goes for the entire country). The city is pervaded with bicycle racks and paths.

My husband and I rented bikes for two days and for the first time in life we felt absolutely carefree riding them. We were able to visit almost all of the places marked on this guide in just one day.

We were lucky to visit Amsterdam in the summer so we’ve spent long hours walking and lying in wonderful public parks.

And when it comes to squares and all the big and small open spaces, we’ve witnessed the true quality and attraction of open spaces and everything we’ve ever learned about them.

After everything we studied at university, walking through these sites which vary from Art Deco to modern and contemporary architecture awakened a certain empowering, refreshing feeling, and reinforced our passion for architectural creation and design.

This was just a sneak peak into what you may experience if Amsterdam happens to be is on your traveling list. It’s a must visit city, especially if you’re involved into design, engineering or art, I promise you’ll be overwhelmed with inspiration!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb