Goedenavond Vanuit Amsterdam!


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
November 19th 2013
Published: November 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Boat Ride 1Boat Ride 1Boat Ride 1

House boat
Good Evening from Amsterdam! We made it to the Netherlands on Sunday, and stayed with our friend Sarah in Nijmegen the past two nights. Despite some glitches in meeting up with Sarah on Sunday, we enjoyed seeing her and staying in a very homey place for a few days. We went to the town of Utrect yesterday, and had an awesome lunch of traditional pannenkoeken (pancakes). While watching trashy TV, we also discovered the British version of Jersey Shore - Geordie Shore. Amazing.

We arrived in Amsterdam this morning, and dropped our bags off at our hotel. If anyone is staying in Amsterdam, I highly recommend the Misc Eat Drink Sleep boutique hotel. It's in a 17th century canal house right off Nieuwmarkt Square and there are only 6 rooms in the entire place. We are staying in the Rembrandt room, which has a canal view. I also love that there was a bottle of Prosecco and some chocolates waiting for us! After ditching our bags at the hotel, we walked to the bloemenmarkt (ie, floating flower market) and did some shopping. It's an interesting experience because there are beautiful flowers and tulip bulbs at every stall, in addition to the normal souvenir junk.

Our next stop was the Anne Frank Huis. I went on a tour through the house last time I was in Amsterdam, and it's very interesting to see the space described in her diary. It's very small and cramped - I couldn't fathom living there for two years with 8 other people. Although it wasn't very crowded today, I was happy that we pre-ordered our admission tickets so we could skip waiting in any type of line. We had some time before dinner, so we decided to go on a canal tour. This was also something I had done last time I was here, but I love the canals and bridges. Our final stop of the day was to walk through De Wallen (the red light district) because....it's just something you have to do in Amsterdam.

We are in for the night now and getting ready to leave for Dublin tomorrow morning!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Boat Ride 2Boat Ride 2
Boat Ride 2

7 perfectly aligned arched stone bridges
Hotel 1Hotel 1
Hotel 1

This was waiting for us!
Hotel 3Hotel 3
Hotel 3

Canal view from our room.


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb