The Land of Windmills and Tulips


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 17th 2006
Published: July 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, here we are in Amsterdam, Holland. Here's one for you all, the country goes by two names, the Netherlands and Holland and the people are described as Dutch. Go figure?

Anyway back to where we left off. We were in Paris still and it was the day that Jaimee parted company with us. She had to fly back to the UK as she had another Airforce ball that she had to attend, so she couldn't spend the extra day with us. How many people head off overseas and pack their ball dress, mind having said that, she has attended 3 of them. Jaimee reckons it's just as well the balls have all been in different places as no one at these balls has seen her in the same ball gown.

Anyway we saw her off at the Card de Nord railway station as she had to catch a train to the airport. A sad time for mum, dad and Jaimee, but we'll catch up with her when we get to Scotland. That night, being Bastille Day, Bird and I decided that we would catch the Metro to the Louvre (this is without Jaimee as guide on the Paris underground) and I'd have to say that Jaimee would be proud of ourselves...... yes we got there. It is one big house!! Unfortunately it was closed for the day (8.00pm) so all we could do was walk around it. Big!

Having walked around the Louvre we walked down to the river Seine for a leisurely stroll along the river bank and found a restaurant where we had tea after which we waited for sundown (approx 10.00pm) to watch the Bastille Day fireworks. You seen one fireworks display you've seen them all. Onto the Metro for the trip back to our hotel.

The next day (Sunday, 15/7/06) we decided that we would go and see the Nottredam cathedral. What a beautiful building, but like every other major tourist sight in this country the queue was bloody long and the weather was hot 30+ degrees..... too hot for this bloke, to stand in a queue. So photos from the outside were the order of the day. Headed back to the hotel and just as we arrived, Stuart (bro-in-law) and Clare had just arrived..... bloody good timing Bob. So we helped them up to their room on the 6th floor (the lift only went to the 5th floor). They found that they did not have air con or access to the bar fridge (everything we had), so like a good bro-in-law, I invited them down to our pad. That night Stuart and Clare took us to their favourite restaurant (it's their 6th time in Paris, so they are practically locals now), which was a trip and a half across Paris. Had tea and then walked up to the area where all the shows are e.g. Moulin Rouge. Couldn't believe that people were queued for about 100 metres to see MR. Anyway, we weren't there for a show, we just window shopping.

Monday, 16/7/06, it was time to move onto to Amsterdam. Another trip on a very quick train, with stops (to let down and pick up pax) at Brussels (Belgium) and Rotterdam (Nld) before we got to Amsterdam at 1415hrs (local). Another hot day so I was hoping that we didn't have to hump ..... I mean walk, with our packs on our backs. Luckily the Victoria Hotel where we are staying was across the road from the railway station..... no complaints from this bloke, or his lovely wife!!

So, of course, when in Amsterdam one of the things you 'have' to do is go "window" shopping (for those of you who know what I'm talking about then I don't have to explain, for those of you who don't, you are either too young or past it!!). Well, having lived in Singapore for 2 years, 30 odd years ago, the memory of this sort of thing is a little faded, so it was an eye (or two) opener. Imagine walking along a street with beautiful women, with very little on, sitting in red lighted windows, with come hether looks on their faces......... and you are holding onto you wife's hand.......... that's a wake-up call...... and that's why I love her. Okay to look but DON'T TOUCH!! We had a laugh or two. We also took the opportunity to visit the Sex Museum, as you do when you are on a "cultural" experience. Very interesting. You'll all have to come and see for yourselves. Amsterdam is not what I would describe as a clean city. The streets appear dirty as do the cannels. It's differnately sleezier than Paris, but then that's why people come here. And you are just about on a high walking around the streets, because of all the choof being smoked. Cannibis has been decrimminalized. So last night, if people weren't drunk, they were off their faces from drugs, or both.

Today, Tuesday, 17/6/06, we went to see Anne Franks house/museum. That was a very moving experience. One could feel the wairua (spirit) in that place where 8 people lived for 3 years. This afternoon we did a coach tour to the Hague and Maduredam (spelling) (a miniturized city). Didn't stop in the Hague, just drove through, which is about all you do when visiting capital cities. Maduredam was worth the trip. Absolutely fascinating.

Right, a couple of things for a couple of people. Ray and Fiona, Holland would be the ideal place for you two to holiday. It is bike heaven. The country is cris-crossed with cycling paths, bloody bikes everywhere. The info says that 200,000 bikes get stolen every year in this country, so lock it up! Even in the cities there are special cycle paths.

Daniel, we saw the North Sea on a beautiful fine, hot day. Looked bloody good for a swim and a sunbath, but not a wave to talk about mate. Stick to Torque/Anglesea etc!!

Well, that is about up to date for now. Looking forward to heading off to Scotland tomorrow and seeing Pam and Wilma.

For the Malmsbury lot..... no I'm not missing work, but think of you all often.... not!!

That's me.

Kia ora.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb