February Adventures // Chapter 2


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
February 12th 2012
Published: March 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Wow! So many things to say! Amsterdam was so amazing. We rented bikes and were able to go wherever we pleased. We lived on a boat and our captain's name was Jesse. He looked like Tom Cruise!

So we got up early to get a train from Bergen op Zoom to Amsterdam. Kaitlyn was a bit disorganized so this train ride was good for her to sort out her backpack! =P

We arrived at our ship: Avanti. Our little bunk bed cabin was quaint but perfect! So we dropped our bags and went off to explore. Bikes were a must. It is definitely the easiest way to get around. We started off at Droog Design, boy did we loose track of time in there! Reading and admiring the magnificant design until it was practically dark outside. So after picking up a souvenier we made our way to the Heineken Brewery for a tour on how beer is made and then of course tasting the beer!

We wandered in search of food and then made our way back to our boat after stopping in a few shops and whatnot. We were pooped, plus we had to get up early the next morning...

Day 2 in Amsterdam:

What should we do today Kaitlyn?....Uhmm meet GIJS BAKKER of course!! This was an experience of a lifetime. According to Mr. Bakker himself "I never do this" (meaning he neve ever just meets 1 on 1 with a couple of students who happen to love his work.) He is a master of design and it was and honor to meet him in person and be able to speak with him. He provided some great advice! So he invited us in to his personal studio and we got to chat for about 15 minutes. He was a busy man and had to run out to pick up his son from the airport. Even Gijs Bakker does average people things! He told us how getting into the design profession is getting harder and harder. Back when he began, no one was really interested in it, however, now you have to line up and wait for a chance to be a designer.

We talked about the frozen canals outside and the skaters and how it has never been this frozen in many years. Took a few pictures and were sent on our way. He was a very pleasant man and this was a huge opportunity. Now when I go to design week in Milan, he will be there and I'll be able to have this connection already! So thanks to Kaitlyn and her professor at UArts who made this possible!

Next we biked to the Van Gogh museum and strolled around through that. I had been there once before but I could appreciate it much more now that I was about 7 years older. We finished our night at at Jazz bar. Super fun!

Day 3 in Amsterdam:

Our final day. We packed up but Jesse said we could keep our things in the wheel house of his boat so we wouldnt be trecking all around with it. So we took our bikes to Waterloo Plein, an outdoor flea market. Kaitlyn went pretty crazy here. She loves used things! The next plan was to go to the Medieval Torture Museum, unfortunately it was closed for some unknown reason =/ So instead we walked around the flower market and then found a cheese shop and we ate lots and lots of free cheese samples. So after a quick snack of cheeses, we went back to retrieve our things from the boat. Said one last goodbye to Jesse and were off to go return our bikes. They only cost us 5euros per day! Finally it was time for Panakkoken Boat!!! All you can eat pancakes whilst on a boat that drives around the harbour. They were delicious!!!

So that was the end of our Amsterdam Adveture. I deemed it quite successful! Now off to De Heen to visit Oma and for Carnaval and then Prague on Monday!!!

a.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb