Free things to do in Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
September 4th 2011
Published: September 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As a budget traveller, I take the opportunity to enjoy sights without paying a lot or better, without paying at all. In some European cities, there are specific days and time every month/week where famous museum can be visited for free. In The Netherlands, there are a lot of museum to go to but you have to pay an entrance fee. Once a year, there is a museum day (sometime in April), museum night (October) and monuments day (September) where famous buildings and musea can be visited for free/with discount. However, planning a vacation doesn’t coincide to these special days. It is such a challenge for me to visit some spots in The Netherlands without paying any entrance fee.
Few photos
See short videos at the end of the page
AMSTERDAM
If you want to read about the popular spots in Amsterdam, then search Amsterdam tourism because what you are about to read in my travel blog is about the other face of the city which is probably not that popular yet by tourists. If you are staying in a hotel in Amsterdam, then you don’t have any travel expenses at all. However, for a city tripper like me coming from Southwest of Holland, I had to pay a two-way train ticket from Den Haag Holland Spoor to Amsterdam centraal. Price: € 20.20. Within 55 minutes, I arrived at the central station. I went to platform 2 to admire a golden gate with a crown which used to be the royal family's waiting room. Above the stairs is a drawing of Amsterdam’s coat of arms. Next to the stairs is a restaurant. Enter this restaurant and admire the well-preserved interior and furnishings.
Afterwards, go at the backside of the central station, in the direction of the Amsterdam Ij, a river which is known as the waterfront of the city. Walk to the left until you find three boat stations. The last station is what you have to ride in going to NDSM-werf (wharf). You can ride a ferryboat for free. It is a transport service offered by the city for inhabitants of the Ij. The duration of the boat ride is 15 minutes. While sailing, it is like seeing an open museum because there is a shrunken submarine, red light boat and old boats. The view is beautiful with sailing boats. Upon arrival, you can either go to the right, left or straight ahead. If you go to the left side, you’ll find Over het IJ Eetcafé, a restaurant facing the water, botel (a hotel boat), two ships and Sirrius ship from Greenpeace. You have a view of the river with more boats and modern glass-made buildings. At the back of the restaurant, you come across colorful container houses, a creative housing for students. If you go to the right side, you’ll find shipyards and a tall crane. Pass by the crane and you’ll see old trams and a big statue head. Other spots you can find are the following: skatepark, MTV building, old shipping buildings which are now being used for art exhibits and house party, concerts, etc. Try eating in a glass-roofed restaurant, Noorderlicht Café. The food is a bit expensive than in an average restaurant but with artistic ambiance. The restaurant is also surrounded with open artworks. You can also visit gewoon boot every Wed. and Friday afternoons. It is a boat producing its own drinking water and electricity. NDSM-wharf is full of graffiti, shipyards, creative art works, ships/boats and unusual buildings. To my opinion, it is nice to explore this other side of Amsterdam. Ride the ferry back to the train station. After getting off the perry, walk to the left straight ahead passing by the station. Afterwards you see to your right a ship-like green building known as Nemo Science Centre. Upon reaching Muziekgebouw aan het IJ to your left, go down to the stairs. Marvel at its architectural style and its bridge. You pass by a big souvenir shop and take your photo at the draairogel, a street organ. Then cross two bridges until you reach Nemo. Go on the side of the building, you pass by boats which is like an open museum, great for taking pictures until you reach the Nemo’s rooftop where you have a nice view of Amsterdam in open space. There is a restaurant to quench your thirst/hunger while enjoying the nice view. Next to Nemo is the Openbare Bibliotheek (library) which is open everyday. Go to the top floor where you can order food at La Place restaurant and sit there while admiring the view of Amsterdam in closed windows. For a free treat of old military paintings, go to Kalvermarkstraat. Walk along the street then to yout right, you'll find the Amsterdam Historisch museum. You need not enter the museum. Just walk to the Schuttersgallerij, a small street gallery of 16 big paintings of 17th century paintings of shootings clubs. You can look at the paintings for free. At this moment, it is under renovation.
The other side of Amsterdam

Free things to see in Amsterdam


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb