Day 36: Amsterdam at Leisure


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 24th 2005
Published: July 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

After a visit to a diamond centre, why not take a canal bike ride to explore Amsterdam further, perhaps visiting Anne Frank's house.

Woke up at 7 for our usual hotel breakfast of cheese, ham and bread (so glad did not do a hotel tour), then Marty dropped us all off at Museumplain for canal biking. Julia and I peddled Melissa and Nat L-Z all the way to Anne Frank's house. Navigating our way through the canal's was interesting, even with the instructions and map we were given.
Being in Anne Frank's house was a surreal experience, it felt like you were on a film set or something. I still can't believe 8 people hid in there for almost 2 years.
Julia and I went shopping after that, then caught a tram down to the Heineken museum. Had a fun time running around there, learning about beer production and drinking in the bars. Ran into heaps of the others there, before all sprinting our way back to the railway station to meet up with Marty on the coach.
Got changed quickly and headed back into the city for our pre dinner drinks cruise around the canals. Went past Anne Frank's house again, and had fun drinking and dancing in our glass boat. Docked at our floating restaurant for dinner, which had the best chinese food i've ever had. The Netherlands doesn't have a national dish of their own, so they use other cultures foods. Ended up back in town at The Grasshopper, had a few drinks there then decided to go home on the bus at midnight. There was nowhere really to go out and dance, and we were all a bit over just hanging out there.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb