Last Day of European Vacation


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 24th 2009
Published: July 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

What a difference a 2 hour flight from Budapest can make! We left scorching heat and sunshine to arrive in 16 degrees and wind and rain in Amsterdam this morning. I was looking forward to about 20 degrees and sunshine but I was looking at Saturday's forecast not today's! On a positive note our hotel was ready when we arrived at 11 am so we were able to check in shower and get some rest. We then tried to leave to take the train into town (we are at an airport hotel for convenience tomorrow when we fly out) but our attempt to leave was cut short by a torrential downpour and winds that soaked us both. We turned back but were determined to get into the city centre. An hour later after drying some clothes with a hair dryer we headed out again and this time the weather cooperated although quite a change from what we are used to over the last ten days or so. We visited the van Gogh museum as a first stop - I noticed that it opened in 1973 and recalled that I had visited for the first time when I was here in 1980 - just 7 years after it opened. It is a very impressive and informative museum without being overwhelming. We then walked down a ways to the theater district where we found a very nice restaurant where we ate supper - sole and salmon that was cooked to perfection. I wish I could recall the name of the place. Turned out to be a very nice last day after all. Finally we are back at the hotel and ready to get rested for a long day tomorrow - Amsterdam-Frankfurt and Frankfurt-Toronto arriving in TO around 7:30 pm.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb