NYE in Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
January 5th 2009
Published: January 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Road to Amstedam


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: NYE Line 23 secs
NYE ... NYE ... NYE ...

Just after the NYE kiss!!
Amsterdam 2008/09

Spending New Years in Amsterdam meant some LONG traveling time.... Perth to Melbourne, Melbourne to Hong Kong, stuck on tarmac in Hong Kong for 2 hours (engine problems - words I'm never fond of hearing!!), Hong Kong to London, train to Harwich, overnight ferry to Holland, 2 trains to get into Amsterdam. I'm exhausted just reading this back!

On the short stroll to our hotel we walk past a Vodka museum, a sex shop, Dutch version of Hooters and a number of coffee shops (read : places to get high).... Welcome to Amsterdam!

It's New Years Eve and we've got tickets to a club called Escape so after dumping our bags at the hotel we take a stroll to try and find where it is. It's freezing, snow is lightly falling but it's already pretty buzzy on the streets and when we find our MASSIVE club and see the Dj setting up it's pretty clear we're in for a big night.

On the way back home we buy a bottle of champagne (apparently everyone walks around with them on New Years Eve - thanks for the tip Lonely Planet!) and some herbal "happy pills" from
Do we look stuffed!!?Do we look stuffed!!?Do we look stuffed!!?

Off the plane .. and onto a train up to Harwich to catch our overnight ferry to Amsterdam.
one of the local "pharmacies".

Have a good, hearty dinner at a place called Heffer's (!) and tuck into our first drinks (yeah baby!). Pop the champagne on the walk to the club and soak up the atmosphere - people drinking, people high, people setting off fire works (so loud we nearly hit the deck in fear of gunfire the first time we heard it!). The line to the club is huge but when a Dj on an upper level balcony starts pumping tunes out over Rembrandt Park everyones pretty happy and starts grooving in the queue.

Inside we hit the Jager shots and take our happy pills. The dance floor is thumping and we even spot a guy wearing an Aussie flag! They drop confetti from the roof at midnight and then the party really hots up! Lots of beautiful people getting sweaty on the dance floor, a very bossy drag queen as the bathroom attendant and some great people watching. Every now and then they open up the roof and let the snow fall in. After a heady night of dancing and drinking, we slink home at about 4am.

The next day we're pretty buggered
Stena BrittanicaStena BrittanicaStena Brittanica

Our little overnight cabin
and spend our time strolling around town, checking out Anne Frank's house and visiting some cafe's. The best fun is walking through the Red Light District - it's so surreal checking out all the girls in their little booths!! Head to bed fairly early to prepare for a wild Friday!

FRIDAY NIGHT :
After walking around most of the day we decide to try some green cake at one of the local coffee shops. Once that's been stuffed down we head to a very funky Mexican restaurant for dinner and lots of Sangria. Towards the end of a meal the cake starts to hit us and we find everything hilarious!

While we're feeling so merry we decide to take in a sex show at the notorious Casa Rosso. Ummm.... very interesting! And we're seated right in front of the stage! Green cake really hits us and we sit there giggling and whispering to eack other about how "fuzzy" we feel!!

Take another stroll through the Red Light District before falling into bed happy but tired!

Spend our last day walking around, taking lots of photos and eating in cafe's. Sleep very well on the ferry trip
Stena BrittanicaStena BrittanicaStena Brittanica

Oh yes ... sleeping horizontally for the first time in 35 plus hours .... never been so excited
home and arrive in London exhausted but thrilled with our 4 weeks of holidaying and ready to settle back into UK life - until the next trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Rotterdam to AmsterdamRotterdam to Amsterdam
Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Snow snow snow ......
Enough Said .....Enough Said .....
Enough Said .....

This was 30 seconds from our hotel on our first walk ... had me in stiches and set the scene for what was to come ... no not me getting a massage (ha-ha)
NYE nightNYE night
NYE night

Walking down to Dam Square
NYE NightNYE Night
NYE Night

Dam Square
Drinks stop & outfit change!Drinks stop & outfit change!
Drinks stop & outfit change!

Between Dam Square & Escape NYE dance party (check out the man size bottle of Jager!)
NYE NightNYE Night
NYE Night

Dam Square
NYE NightNYE Night
NYE Night

Dam Square
Escape (the club)Escape (the club)
Escape (the club)

Waiting in line to get in - drinking a bottle of champagne & sneaky bottle of Jager - but time flies, check out the video.
NYE NYE
NYE

Escape Club


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb