Out of order -- Amsterdam? Newbie blogger


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
August 29th 2008
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 3, Aug. 26, Tuesday, Full Day in Amsterdam (Excellent day for me, probably a boring report).

Spent E3.85 last night to send email home and try to upload Blog. Hope email worked, Blog didn't; the computer in the hotel lobby didn't recognize the files on my flash drive - will try to remember to convert to .rtf to see if that helps, not sure what to do about photos - they may have to wait until I get home (unless I find a linux email machine over here, or a way to use this one that is somewhat cheaper).

Today started out with a huge buffet breakfast; I think I was the only one who tried the champagne, and made a mimosa. A beautiful chandelier in dining room - I went for the table under it and was by myself for quite awhile. We had three wake-up calls (6:30) (and I was already up with my own alarm). Nice shower; except for the all-night noisy street that my room is literally over, this is a good hotel.

Our tour today started at 8:00, fairly leisurely breakfast. We have 38 in the group, so the other single traveller and I have our own 2-person row on the bus. I think everyone else is in a group of two, mostly married couples, but a couple family/friend pairs. Tour guide is Marieke, and she's off to a really good start so far. We had about an hour+ canal cruise (plus a little time on the bus) with a local guide (Leon, rather cute, and did a great job), and boat captain “Rude” (am totally sure that's not the right spelling, and he was anything but, but that's what it sounded like). The boat was the “Flying Enterprise” -- so appropriate for me, I even had on my Star Trek earrings. It was excellent, and I hated not having any change for a tip. I had tried to get some change at the money booth at the airport, but he wouldn't do it - their commission charge was too much. The boat left from a place (I think near Central Station) that has a 4-story bicycle 'flat' for thousands of bikes each day.

After the canal cruise, we got back on the bus to go to the “Diamond museum” where I took a couple of pics, then left the group and went to the restroom. Group had gone somewhere else when I came back, so I wandered thru their myriad of shops (including Swarovski) to find the exit, and then went on to the Van Gogh Museum. The VGM is quite large (E12.50) and some well-known works, but not Starry Night; gift shop mucho dollars, like everything here. We were to catch the bus at noon, so I skipped the Rijksmuseum (kind of had enough art for the day anyway, VGM has other painters as well), and rushed on to find the local gallery that had some Chihuly pieces (E6500-8900) - they were delightful, altho not very big (one or two pieces). I was the last one on the bus, because I did not realize it was parked underground, and thought I had plenty of time because I didn' t see it. (Underground here seemed odd, altho they are in the process of building a subway! -- Good thing they don't have typhoons or hurricanes).

Back at hotel, I ate the snack I snagged from bkfst (bread, cheese and meat - what they usually have for bkfst, per Marieke) and then figured out a loop route to walk near here. Went to Allan Peirson Musuem (archaeology, Egypt, Rome, Greece, old books) and UvA biblioteque Blau map exihibit ca 1600+) that I thoroughly enjoyed (2 postcards, E1.70). Continued on to Rembrandt etching, but it was like E8 just for etchings, so I continued on and went past canal flea market (highly overpriced goods that no one here seems to wear anyway- very colorful). Proceeded on to the van Willett (sp?) house museum (how the wealthy people along a canal lived) (E5.00) - some wonderful venetian glass, Meissen, etc., and a huge garden (probably worth over a million or two Euros in open space these days, in prime location - well, tiny compared to my yard, but really big here). It's not easy to find - sign is small, you have to have a map and be looking for it (that is true of a lot of places here).

Came back to hotel, rechecked the street again that my room overlooks to make a dinner plan (it's one of many restaurant rows, but not a main street). Most of the group went on the optional tour (E54.00) to Volendam (small town in the country and dinner). Came back to hotel and regrouped. Went to Los Amigos (out my window) and ran into a couple from our tour from Australia; joined them for a while. Had two beers (Palm from Belgium, pretty good) and a rather dry chicken half, salad and fries - E20.00 with tip (not bad for here). The couple from Australia make their own beer (my kind of folks) and recommended trying “Old” from there ( I do like a darker beer, but not Guiness so much) room is in a part of the hotel that is a street overpass - it's very noisy almost all night (until about 4 a.m.) -- I think A'dam may beat Las Vegas as the city that nevers sleeps. There is actually a casino here (not near hotel), altho it doesn't seem well-advertised, not sure what it's like.

So, perceptions of A'dam as an older, kind of creaky broad - I don't think I need to come here again, However, if I were a strong, young “with it”/happening/”hip” type - I think it would be great - need to be stronger, much thinner, and braver than I'm feeling these days. The architecture and history are fascinating, but the traffic and prices are intimidating. I'm not sure there's another place like it, and it's definitely worth visiting (I'm not at all disappointed, just don't think I will feel a need to return, which happens to me most places I go).

Oh - August weather today was predicted at cloudy in a.m., with sun in p.m., but it was cloudy all day, with a small bit of mist. I found it quite comfortable in polo shirt (so not in “uniform”) but lots of people had on jackets or long coats. Clothing here is generally monochromatic, dull (black, navy/jeans, gray, some very occasional muted print or color), and skin tight. Some suits and very uncomfortable looking shoes. Hair usually longer, rather “unkempt” but maybe colorful.

According to a card in the room, the hotel charges E3.25 per minute to call USA, and E5.75 per minute to Australia (per minute!) I'm recording costs of things for other folks - that nitty gritty that I warned you about - I'm fine with being here, but do need to not get too carried away, of course. Is travelling still going to be within reach of Middle America, or have we now bypassed the golden era of travel? (I'm not ready to go back to hostels, altho that is still an option for those younger, hipper folks). Some more nitty-gritty: with all my museum stops today, restrooms were readily available, with no coins needed. I made enough purchases today (postcards and stamps) that I now have enough coins to cope with most things for a few days).

I am back in my room early tonight, to get repacked and have time to kill before trying to get some sleep (we have a 5:45 a.m. wakeup call). The way my room is situated, with buildings on both sides of the street outside my window, the acoustics are amazing - I can literally hear street conversations four floors below, and motor scooters sound like they're coming thru my window.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb