Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
May 23rd 2008
Published: June 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After eating our way from Sydney to Singapore and again to Amsterdam we arrived at the hostel dumped our bags and made our way to Zaanse Schans. Here we watched a clog maker making traditional Dutch clogs and saw numerous windmills. We toured the inside of de Kat windmill. It uses 3 ton sandstone wheels to grind limestone into pigments and dyes. While we were there, the wind changed and the owner had to move the blades to a new position to catch the wind. This stronger wind allowed him to move the cogs and start the windmill working. He wore wooden clogs and smoked a pipe.

The traffic here is crazy. We have nearlly been hit numerous times by bikes, cars, trams etc. There doesn't seem to be any road rules.

We also visited Anne Franks House. It was surprising to see how small the rooms are and how cold it would of been. The stairs were soooooooooooooooooooooo steep. Everyone had a very sombre feeling.

After catching up after our beauty sleep we catch the train to Einkhuizen, a town near the north sea. Here we visited the Zuider Zeemuseum, a fishing village styled on early days in Holland. Here we watched herring being smoked, lovely old sailing boats in the harbour and dad and I were invited to lunch in one of the houses. It was purple cabbage and fried potatoes and sausage (they looked like frankfurts to me). they said it was traditional Dutch food. We also watched the Dutch canal bridges opening and closing.

After catching the train back to Amsterdam, we decided to check out the older part of town. This was to include Oude Kirk, Neuiwe Kirk and possibly a quick walk through the Red Light District during the daylight hours, should be safe then. We had a map but the path was well signposted. We left the markets and followed the signs, next thing we knew there was a half naked lady in the red window, knocking on it to get our attention. The map had told us the Red LIght District was further away. To our dismay we had to walk through 2 full streets before we got to the church, which was closed anyway. Oh well, we've now experienced more of Amsterdam.

If we survive the mad traffic, tomorrow we have a big day planned before we meet the bus group on Saturday. We'll tell you about it next time.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb