Queen's Day in Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
April 30th 2008
Published: May 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another day of uneventful travel!! We made it to Amsterdam without a hitch. It turns out that April 30 is Queen's Day in Amsterdam, which is technically a birthday party for the Queen. But in reality it is a HUGE party. Everyone wears orange (we don't know why) - sorry TN folks, but there was way more orange here than at any UT game. There were over a million people here in a few streets, with tons of street vendors, concerts, and craziness. We had no idea what we were walking in to, but we had a wonderful time.

It was awesome...if anyone ever plans on going out to Amsterdam, come out for Queen's Day. It was literally craziness...every block had its own stage of performers and crowds...turn a corner, and there was another street party...blocks and blocks of them. Karen and I ended up at a corner coffeeshop towards the end of the first day and we gave it a 50/50 chance of being able to find our way back to our hostel. We're still not sure how we found it, considering the fact that we rounded the same block about 3 times. But we made it. Of course, like all the other towns we've been in, the streets are mazes and I need perpendicular grids to know where I'm going. It's too disorienting. Great times here...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb