Ow... Our Butts Hurt


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
October 8th 2007
Published: October 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

AmsterdamAmsterdamAmsterdam

There are over 1000 bridges in Amsterdam, which is entirely below sea level and held up by marsh and concrete pylons.
So you know how when you haven't ridden a bike for a while you REALLY feel it the next day? Well, we are going to be feeling this one for a while.

It was really nice (except the weather, which was cold and overcast, and the maps, which were less than helpful...), most of all it was great to get out of the city for a while. It is a bit much, coming from Potosi and being thrown in the middle of three large cities in one week. So we appreciated the scenery, the wildlife, and trees, the GRASS... And we got to see some real windmills. But after 40K (or about 25 miles) we were tired and sore (we rode standing up a lot at the end there), and I look so forward to tomorrow when it really hits us.

Tomorrow we are going to be sitting on trains mostly, starting at 6:40 am. We will get to Copenhagen after 6 tomorrow night, so it will be a long journey (Thank god our Eurorail passes require that we travel first class!)

Just so you know what's coming, after Copenhagen we will go visit my friends in Germany,
Outside AmsterdamOutside AmsterdamOutside Amsterdam

Our first real windmill sighting.
then go to Prague, Vienna, take the train through Austria to look at all the pretty sights, stay a night at Innsbruck, then a night near the airport in Frankfurt before heading to Cairo. We will be in Cairo for a week, then fly to Greece and hopefully visit a friend in Turkey. Then we will go to South Africa for something like three weeks. After that it is Kenya and Dubai, then we will probably skip China (it was going to take a week to get the visas from the embassy in Paris) and go straight to Thailand, then New Zealand and finally Australia. Nothing is really planned out beyond Egypt, so please don't hold me to this.

One final note before I finish the last entry with free internet for a while. The hostel we are in right now is so cool. It is called the Amsterdam Bed and Coffee, and it is small (just three rooms) but has so much character. There are dico balls and wall art everywhere, and when you go into the bathroom and turn on the light, the radio comes on as well (this is Chris' favorite part for some reason.). The
Outside AmsterdamOutside AmsterdamOutside Amsterdam

Making our way through the countryside...
owners are really nice (we got fresh flowers in our room today!) and as far as budget lodging goes we are very happy. Keep it in mind if you ever come to Amsterdam.

So that's all for now, hope everyone is healthy and happy (MOM!) and know that we love to read your emails and comments to the blog, even if we don't have time to respond. Bye!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Outside AmsterdamOutside Amsterdam
Outside Amsterdam

Making real cheese with fake costumes.
My Dad's StoreMy Dad's Store
My Dad's Store

This is near our hostel... If my dad had a store, this is what he would sell. It looks just like the barn did before we did a number on it. Don't let it get this way again, dad! Thanks. :)


8th October 2007

Raido in the toilet
I worked in a small YMCA office for a while and they had rigged a radio up to the light switch as well. The main reason was so everyone in the office didn't need to hear your "bathroom noises". Sabrina your married now, Lunny is done hiding his bathroom noises, get used to it.
9th October 2007

If you come to Spain
Hey buddies.. Remember me? If you just decide to run away from the cold weather up there in Netherlands and wat to spend some sunny days here in Spain, you know I can provide you with a house at my town and can even pick you up at the airport... If you come in a weekend it would be of course much better.. Have fun and enjoy our continent!!
10th October 2007

Bathroom Noises
Well, it was a shared toilet for three rooms, so I guess that explains it. And Lunny hasn't hidden bathroom noises for a few years now. In fact, I'm lucky when he closes the door.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb