Amsterdam, Netherlands: Northern Europe Cruise - RCCL Jewel of the Seas


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
September 17th 2007
Published: October 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Diamond ShoppingDiamond ShoppingDiamond Shopping

Gassan Diamond Center
We woke up to our first rainy day on the cruise. Captain Thor reported the day would bring cloudy skies with periods of rain. So, we put on our rain gear and headed into the brand new cruise ship terminal. I went to the information desk and signed us up for the free tour at Gassan Diamonds in the center of Amsterdam. We had to wait a few minutes, but they sent us two passenger vans to transport our group to their factory. There was quite a bit of traffic at 9:00 AM due to Amsterdam’s narrow streets and the rainy weather at rush hour.
We were ushered into the reception area and buzzed through a couple of thick glass security doors, before being met by a sales representative. He took us into the work area, where we got to see the stone cutters and polishers at work. He also showed us the tools and a replica of what a raw diamond looks like. It was all quite interesting, and gave us an appreciation for the difficult skill involved in turning these rough stones into the sparkling faceted gems in jewelry.
We also enjoyed a complimentary beverage in their show room, but passed up the opportunity to purchase the perfect cut, clarity and color stones at prices starting from $25,000.00 USD.
From here, it was a 10 minute walk to the Rondvaart Kooij Canal Boats at the corner of Spui and Rokin Streets. We figured that the glass top boats would provide cover from the rain as we toured the city from the water. It cost about $10.00 USD for the 90 minute tour, which provided a thorough taped commentary in four languages (including English). The boat captain did a good job of pointing out the sights just prior to the commentary, which gave the photogs in our group, adequate time to prepare for the “shot”. It was an informative, relaxing trip that provided a great overview of the city on the canals and the harbor area where our cruise ship was docked.
We continued by foot to the flower market, where we chuckled at the “self-starting cannabis farm” kits and “cannabis lollipops”. We also enjoyed reading the menu for “sex enhancement” drugs, like ecstasy, available over the counter at the local herb and pharmacy shop. We stumbled into a small pizzeria called Angelo’s on one of the
Cannabis CollegeCannabis CollegeCannabis College

How come this university wasn't listed in my "Best Party School" College Catalog?
side streets near the flower market. The proprietor welcomed us with open arms, served us nice cold Heineken on draft and made scrumptious pizzas and calzones to order. The place was really cozy, and it gave us a chance to dry off before continuing our adventure.
We headed for the “Dam Tram” to Dam Square. We walked towards the Oude Kerk and the Red Light District. We paused at Cannabis College and the Absolute Danny Shop that has supplies and outfits for all of your “S and M” needs !! They even sold T-shirts, so Danny bought one to model for his friends at home !!
We walked further along the canals past the neon-lit elephants of Cassa Rosa, and the photos of the various sex acts you could see performed “live”. The only thing that pulled the guys away, were the young, beautiful prostitutes in storefront windows on two-levels next door. The guys were beside themselves, as the girls gestured towards them to come in and sample their “wares”.
Luckily, the lure of an ice cold beer kept them moving as we walked towards Nieumarkt Square in search of Amsterdams Brouwhuis Maximilliaan. It is located in the old 16th Century Bethanien Convent. They recently changed the name of the breweryto De Beiaard. It was a warm, cozy, rustic place with big wooden tables and a great selection of their own brewed Belgian style beers.
After a couple of tasty brews, we continued through the rest of the tiny alleys of the red light district and used the map provided in Rick Steves Book to see the storefront prosititutes vs. the cheaper, less desirable prostitute area. Some of them were real “beauties” !!
We walked our way to the main railway station and eventually found the tram we needed to get back to the ship, which left us a 2 block walk away.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Danny at "Absolute Danny"Danny at "Absolute Danny"
Danny at "Absolute Danny"

Can you say Dominatrix ??


Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb