stillness in the centre of madness!


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 20th 2007
Published: July 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

well first and foremost i would like to apologize to everyone for my lack of updates...there is very little time to sit alone infront of a computer...infront of all this!...let alone this heat!!!

anyways....to start from the beggining, we landed in Amsterdam, and the first 2 things i noticed were the canals everywhere...and BIKES everywhere!!! In vancouver youre either a BMX'er or a middle aged man wearing tights...not here though....the city was just teeming with bikes....left right and center....even bikes from the sky*not really* but it was nice to see...i didnt feel like such a stanger at all. some guys thought we were americans....so i told them...the only thing stupider than an american is somone who mistakes a canadian for one :D...

our hostel was right in the centre of the red light district...it was a christian hostel at that!....there were hookers in the same building haha...kinda weird...at night the city glows red and green ....it is litereally a meat market, the men line up and 'shop', the narrow streets and alley ways crowd with hunger as women bang on the window, trying to get your attention....

the coffee shops are nice...chilled out and relaxed, thought most shops roll mainly with tabacco, with just a sprinke of weed....as a nonsmoker...this actually made me sick.

we didnt stray too far from amsterdam though, A. our christian hostel had a 2:00am cerfew and it was WAY too easy to get lost, the architecture, altough glorius, looks the same....amsterdam is not a good representation of the netherlands and its culture, it is purely touristy and mixed with ppl.

we met a brit named oliver, he was basically like a free tour guide who liked to party, which was quite kick ass....our stay was short, but good times none the less....next we leave for my homeland, Czech Republic.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb