Cracking The Code


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
August 12th 2006
Published: August 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Pretty much every single song ever written has a meaning. Some songs have deeper meanings than other songs. Actually, considering the massive output of songs throughout the years, most songs ever written probably mean very little to the vast majority. Personally, I’ve only taken the time to analyze no more than a dozen or so songs to find the true meaning and apply to my own situation. Most of them in association with romantic situations. In fact, all but one. But it took two. By coincidence on a Saturday night out, Mr. M and me started singing on one of the most brilliant rock songs ever written - Proud Mary. After having sung it numerous times in various versions, was started to actually listen to it. After having listening to it, we started to translating the lyrics to our native language Swedish. After having translated the lyrics, this song with seemingly little depth gained a whole new perspective.

So, what have we got…? A character, probably a man, who left a good job in the city and hitched a ride on a river boat queen. Never lost a minute of sleep worrying about the way things might have been. Going up and down Mississippi, making some stops in Memphis and New Orleans. No financial worries, people on the river happy to give. So, this brilliant masterpiece that in the eyes and the ears of the big mass is merely a tune for karaoke bars or live pub evenings, is hereby been proven to have a much deeper significance, one that most will never comprehend. Repeating: a guy (or a girl) in the riverboat era, cruises the mighty Mississippi, leaves all the worries ashore. The code is cracked, the content of the song revealed - so simple but yet so complex. At least to two slightly intoxicated Swedish guys on a Saturday evening in Amsterdam. Big wheels keep on turning. Tina Turner said it well. The greatest diva of all - Proud Mary keeps on burning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb