6 Kiwis in Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
March 23rd 2007
Published: March 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Heneiken museumHeneiken museumHeneiken museum

Just one beer in Amsterdam
EUROPE HERE WE ARE!!

Leon and I were greeted from 22hours of travelling with a hail storm and 5degrees c.
It was a shock to the system after our SweetAction tour of duty in Brazil (averaging 32degrees.) Not to mention being snowed and hailed on in out time in Amsterdam.

Leon and I got a little rest in the hostel, before my guests started to arrive...

First Andrea Clout - an ex AIG work collegue who is now serving in London.

Second Chris Rapson - soccer teammate and perhaps my oldest mate - going right back to Remuera Primary.

Third Stuart Paterson - a good mate from Grammar and also a drinking buddy in my working days. He too is dwelling in London.

Last but not least James Donald, mate from school and uni who endured 3plane rides from Norway to make it to Amsterdam.


Initially there were 4 with Chirs and Andrea arriving around 3pm. We took to the streets of Amsterdam. We endured the cold winds and the frequent humming of bicycles, trams and cars. Amazingly bicycles rule Amsterdam. The dead flat of Netherlands has lead to bikes winning their
BoysBoysBoys

(full sign says Amsterdam)
own lanes. However, as I found out these are not to be confused with the footpaths. There was several occassions where an angry word was exchanged by a local after a close call.

The first stop was the pub and purely by coincidence (cough) NZ happened to be playing England. So we watched over a couple of beers.
Then visited a cafe for some muffins and to experience the ambience of drinking coffee in a smoky hollow - infamous in Amsterdam.

Stuart and James meet us later on... We went home around 12, everyone a little exhausted from the efforts to get there.

Saturday. St Pattys Day!
We awoke and had a decision to make. Sex or Heineken (museum). It was 10am so we decided it was a little early to see the worlds oldest chastity belt.
The Heineken Museum lived up to expectation. James clocked in the first beer at just before noon.
We managed to scam more drinks thanks to Andrea. Her flatmate who conveniently happened to be in Amsterdam at the same time and did not drink, hooked us up for two more rounds. Andrea remained as everyones favourite girl by finding more tokens
Crepe timeCrepe timeCrepe time

Feeding time at the zoo
on the way out.
Merry merry times. The day was going down hill very fast and it was EARLY.

Tipsy, 6beers down it was time for a quick walk around the red light district. We politely acknowledged the girls in the windows, we were only window shopping after all.
However, the boys we decided to check out a live sex show. A little confused about how it worked, all of a sudden we were all in our own little booths slotting 2Euro coins. 2people on a revolving stage became visible. They looked bored and it was not a great specticle at all.
2minutes later, I was outside with the others. Been there done that, never again.

We looped around to the hostel for a chill out. Dinner at Wagamamas and then out for some celebrations. The most Irish thing (apart from the Irish pub) was the cricket. Monumentally, Ireland pulled through to beat Pakistan.
We hung out at an bouncing little club and eventually Leon and I were the only 2standing. It was late, so we walked home. Leon left his coat with Chris and had a great run home in the cold. Hahaha shame.

Sunday, my
Beer oclockBeer oclockBeer oclock

James with the first beer around 1130am!
guests started to leave around mid day. Not before some crepes though. Mmmmm!
Chris, Leon and I were left. We had a great afternoon in the hostel. Just chilling out and watching TV.
Chris and I revisited the redlight district that night. Just to see what it was like in the dark. Still dodgy as hell.

Monday, Chris took off and Leon and I spent the day with a Brazilian dude, just wandering around town and hanging out. One last trip to te Red Light District.

Tuesday, we woke up a little late. We had 2hours to get packed and catch an hour long train to the Airport.
Leon left his passport in the hostel safe and had to go back. I was freaking I was going to miss the plane and pretty much wrote Leon off - checked in around 40mins before takeoff. Leon was even finer but made it thanks to a Pakistani taxi driver!! Wahooo!

Barcelona here we come!








Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Public displayPublic display
Public display

Leon and I trying out the local water works bang smack in the middle of the footpath.
Cruising the beatCruising the beat
Cruising the beat

The gang out and about.
Red lightRed light
Red light

Sorry Stu, could not help putting this one on. (Sign says Sex Palace)
Something for everyoneSomething for everyone
Something for everyone

Animal and bizarre films? David Edinborough would not be impressed.
Smart shopSmart shop
Smart shop

Yeah right.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb