Good morning Amsterdam & 3-D printed steel bridge


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
July 18th 2021
Published: July 18th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Good morning Amsterdam

Mark started the tour this morning overlooking the National Maritime Museum and the Nemo Science Museum before hopping onto his little electric bike and making his way to the centre, as he cycled we passed houseboats and a beautiful building The Shipping House, richly decorated with sculptures and wrought iron, which refer to the history of shipping in Holland. Symbols include seahorses, dolphins, waves and anchors. The entrance sculptures depicted the four oceans (the Indian Ocean, the Mediterranean, the Pacific and the Atlantic Ocean).

As Mark quietly glided alongside the canals there were plenty of opportunities for capturing the reflections in the water.

Arriving in the Red Light District it was the 3D Print steel Bridge that was so unusual to see in such a setting against the ancient backdrop of houses and canals.



The MX3D bridge, first proposed in 2015, was opened on Thursday by Dutch queen Máxima. The swirling structure reminded me of the shell of a snail.

The project is also equipped with special sensors.These will record all kinds of pedestrian and crowd behaviour to feed a ‘digital twin’ of the bridge, which will help city researchers investigate
all kinds of topics from the impact of tourism in the red light district.

Our tour ended with more beautiful reflections a lovely way to start my Sunday morning here in the U.K.



https://www.heygo.com/marklaw


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement















Tot: 0.532s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb