Queensday; Koninginnedag 2005


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
April 30th 2005
Published: September 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

One of manyOne of manyOne of many

. . . interesting characters we had the pleasure of running into on Queensday - Do you think she likes me?
It's an Orange thing! The prevalent color, symbolizing Dutch national and royal pride, stems from the royal family name - The Family Nassau, House of Orange.

Wandering through Amsterdam on Queensday can give the impression that it is in honor of the many gay queens who converge on the city for this giant out in the open street party when it is in fact the official celebration of the Dutch sovereign's birthday.

Queensday was introduced originally by Queen Wilhelmina since 1902. Her daughter Queen Juliana was born on April 30, which made this day a national holiday in The Netherlands when she officially became Queen. Her daughter and the current Queen of the Netherlands, Queen Beatrix, decided to keep Queensday on the 30th of April as a tribute to her mother.

Cities and towns all over Holland become giant yard sale, flea market, festivals. Bars are allowed to put beer taps outside, and many erect large and small stages and playing music to attract crowds.

The Dutch have an attitude of tolerance dating back to the 16th century when they forced out the Spanish and their inquisition. Since then, the Dutch make a point of not criminalizing
For an all day party . . .For an all day party . . .For an all day party . . .

Start with a good and nutritious typical Dutch breakfast - cereal, bread, Gouda (pronounced “howdah”) cheese, sliced cold meats, fruit juice, and coffee or tea. Oh! and by the way, wear appropriate orange attire, there is NO getting around this. You MUST wear ORANGE!!
or feigning moral outrage at victimless "crimes". Prostitution, pornography, homosexuality, euthanasia, and soft drug use are all tolerated and integrated into Dutch society. Let's party!







Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Queen HollyQueen Holly
Queen Holly

Ready to go in her Queensday outfit.
Early Revelers hit the CanalsEarly Revelers hit the Canals
Early Revelers hit the Canals

First there were a few.
By NoonBy Noon
By Noon

There were a few more.
By early afternoonBy early afternoon
By early afternoon

There was grid lock on the Canal.
Typical Party BoatTypical Party Boat
Typical Party Boat

Filled to capacity from bow to stern with merrymakers.
Having FunHaving Fun
Having Fun

All around town.
Al and FriendsAl and Friends
Al and Friends

Yes, these are Tulip Heads.
Having a great timeHaving a great time
Having a great time

On Queensday.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb