July 21, 2019


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Brabant » s-Hertogenbosch
July 22nd 2019
Published: July 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

It was our plan to go to mass at St. Jan Cathedral in ‘s Hertogenbosch (Den Bosch), but we took too long to get going and got there late. So instead we walked around this gorgeous building and nearby streets to admire the architecture and feeling of the city. I believe that the church was built between 1200 and 1500 AD. In those days parishioners would have donated their expertise and labour being good members of the parish. Den Bosch has a long and interesting history throughout the middle ages and more recent times, having been a stronghold during several wars and occupations by the French and Spanish at different times, too long a history to write here.

We had lunch with good friends Marianne and Pieter in Boxtel and spent many hours chatting about our teen years and what we’ve all been up to. The weather has been phenomenal and will mirror that in Canada from what we hear, getting up to 40C by Thursday (not including humidex, they don’t do that here). That could possibly affect our planned trip to the Gouda cheese market on Thursday. We’ll see.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Den Bosch café’s ready to open Den Bosch café’s ready to open
Den Bosch café’s ready to open

It’s 10:30 am and they’re getting ready for the Sunday crowds.
Den Bosch’s own version of Manneke PisDen Bosch’s own version of Manneke Pis
Den Bosch’s own version of Manneke Pis

The original of course is in Brussels.
Bossche bollen and coffeeBossche bollen and coffee
Bossche bollen and coffee

No trip here is complete without these unparalleled pastries filled with real whipped cream and drenched in real dark chocolate.
St. Jan’s organSt. Jan’s organ
St. Jan’s organ

We sat and listened for a while. Sound so great it gives you goose bumps!
Man in moteMan in mote
Man in mote

Dutch sense of humour. The mote surrounds the walled city.
Our AirBnb’s poolOur AirBnb’s pool
Our AirBnb’s pool

Not very large, but it cools you.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb