August 9, 2019


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Brabant » Oirschot
August 9th 2019
Published: August 9th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We still needed to pick up some souvenirs to take home, but Eindhoven is not exactly a tourist hotspot. The one small store that was supposed to have some, only carries cheap Delft blue. So back to the Bijenkorf, a large higher-end department store where we had a bit more luck. Marion really liked the town of Schijndel when we were there yesterday and she wanted to look around some more, because it looks less affected by progress when compared to some other towns. So off we went. We looked around a bit, bought some more stuff, then decided it was time for some refreshments and bitterballen. I also wanted to show Marion the Jan Heesters Museum there. Jan Heesters, a local artist painter, lived here and some of his work is on display here. We both really liked his work. Jan taught my father art in Schijndel, and also taught me art in my early teens. There were also some works by Dorus van Oirschot, an uncle of my cousin Hannie that we visited yesterday. Many family members have paintings by him and they are appreciating in value. We also had a quick look at where my cousin had his kids clothing store, and where my grandparents lived in the fifties. The windmill I remember having been behind their house is still there!

One of the little cute towns we still wanted to visit was Oirschot (same name as the painter), and we were not disappointed. This certainly ranks right up with the nicest little towns we have visited, and one of the oldest maybe. We walked by a church built in the years 900 from Roman stones. The main Catholic Church is massive with a very high tower. The carillon plays every 15 minutes and strikes the hour and half hour. The church and market area is surrounded by very old homes. One notable person born in one of them was a singer and composer for the Pope in Rome, he lived from 1530-1605. The house next door used to be a saddlery. We found many other old homes in close proximity. Many businesses and little cafés lined the market square. A must-see for visitors and people from nearby.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Oirschot Church ca. 900 ADOirschot Church ca. 900 AD
Oirschot Church ca. 900 AD

Built as a Catholic Church, now Reformed.
Oirschot old houseOirschot old house
Oirschot old house

Christian van der Ameijden, singer and composer for the Pope in Rome, was born here in 1530.


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb