A neverending stream of family


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Gelderland » Lunteren
August 10th 2011
Published: August 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sorry for the long wait, again. We've bee doing a lot of visiting family and winding down a bit. i'll probably post photos of the last 4 or so weeks from home.

Thursday, August 4 (Continued) After ikea, we went t the Panakoekenhuis for supper, it had a petting zoo and massive playground, and pancakes came in flavours like pizza and cheese.

Friday, August 5. It rained in the morning, and I volunteered with Tante Nel at a restaurant in town, which I really enjoyed. At 4óclockish, we picked up Oma and went to Ome Jord and Tante Grada's house for supper. They had a huge vegetable garden and fruit trees in their backyard! After supper we headed to Johan and Anja's house (their son and daughter-in-law). They had a beautiful house and horse barns. Their daughter, Ilona, spoke very good English and showed us around. Her sister came with her baby as well, and we had a beautiful evening in the countryside.

Saturday, August 6. We do very little in the morning, after lunch we help set up chairs and relatives started coming for another get together- this time from my Oma's side! There were around 50 relatives there, and I've been told that was about half of them o.O The rain came at around 7, so we went inside one of the many barns to continue the party.

Sunday, August 7. I went to a Dutch church in the morning with Oma and Tante Ghreta. It was... difficult to understand... Singing was kind of odd too. It was a good experience, though😊 Tante Ghreta served us all drinks and sweets, and I can't remember doing anything else that day.

Monday, August 8. After lunch, Everyone but Mom went to the Lunteren tennis courts, where we met some relatives who were far better at it than we were. They gave us some lessons and helped us play for 2 hours or so. I had fun, and I think I got something out of it. I don't think I'll ever be a good tennis player. We went to Tante Rhia and Ome Jan's for an early supper, then Mom, Tia, Tara, and I went to the last Harry Potter movie. This time, we watched the whole thing!

Tuesday, August 9. In the morning, we took the train into Amsterdam along with Tante Joke, Ome Jan, Tante Ghreta, and Oma. We took a canal boat tour, which was nice and warm inside- a change from the freezing July temperatures outside. We first saw the Dam of Amsterdam; an obelisk monument to something or other. We saw the Anne Frank house from outside, but the lines were terrible long. We had lunch and went to the Rijksmuseum, we saw the Nachtwacht and a lot of other Dutch paintings. The museum was under construction (And covered in scaffollding...) so we didn't see everything, which was fine. We spent a while shopping in the Amsterdam market, we lost Ome Jan for a while and bought a few souveniers. We passed the Anne Frank house on teh way back but sadly decided the line was still too long and it was too late. We left again and went to Tante Joke and Ome Jan's for supper, which was absolutely delicious.

Wednesday, August 10. We did a bit of organizing in the morning, and in the afternoon I volunteered at the same restaurant again while mom and dad cleaned and the girls wen to the market. After I was done at the restaurant we looked at an old church in Lunteren where my Oma got married and baptized. After that we went to my Dad's cousin Bert's house for supper with their family. We got another Indonesian-type meal and it was, of course, fantastic.

I think I'll try to post from the airport on Saturday morning. We're almost at the end of our trip 😞 I'm sad to leave but the girls are excited to go back home again. We'll be seeing some of you soon.

Tuesday, August 9.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb