back to the USSR


Advertisement
Moldova's flag
Europe » Moldova » Transnistria » Tiraspol
October 5th 2016
Published: October 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

My cycling trip from Kishinev (capital of Moldova) to Transnistria (conflict zone) was 70km and was easy to do. So after a good breakfast i started around 10:00 and I arrived about 2pm in Transnistria where border control is present. Even though you are still officially in Moldova, it is a conflict zone so they want to check and see your passport. Then they give you a ticket where it stands that you must leave within 12 or 24 hours. They give me a ticket of 24 hours.



It is special to be here in transnistria. The conflict zone since the Soviet era did not want to reunite with Moldova and isolated remained surrounded by the red Soviet army. It is, Therefore, a zone-which you normally can entrance but need out again within 24 hours.



It is interesting to see to see many buildings, cars and public transports are just as the same idea that is not lost since the Soviet period. The local people would rather not get out of the Soviet regime and wanted to preserve it. So they created and protected there own zone. In the streets you see almost everywhere police walking so they can easily ask for your identity. For me that has doesn't happened, but there were some police that was looking me with a suspicious look.



Even the hostel Dmitri where I stayed was decorated with Soviet flags and signs-which was very interesting to look and see. Dmitri helped me good with info and staying.



Transnistrians have even their own car license plate and there own money which was funny to see that the blue plastic (in the picture) is been using as money. There are here not many attractions to see except the old castle in Bender what you should must see, and further it is always special to engage with local people, they look at you cold but they became very friendly if you are start to start a talking with them. It was time to go again, so i left it early to not elapsed the 24 hours time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement






Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.097s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb