Lithuania


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Vilnius
June 20th 2006
Published: July 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

111

View of Galve Lake at Trakai, half hour out of Vilnius.
Hello everybody,
For my first time, I am getting information on the Soviet controlled countries. Lithuania is a good example. They were independant from 1918-40. At one point only their capital city was occupied by Poland--that was in 1920, but the rest of the country was independant. In 1938 the Soviets gave back Vilnius, but then moved in in 1940--35,000 Lithuanians were sent to Siberia. Fewer than half returned. From 1941-44 the Germans had it, but the Soviets were back in 1944. The Lituanians fought back, but were defeated. The got their independance in 1991, but the Soviets didn't give up easily--in an skirmish 14 people were killed and hundreds wounded. Gorbechev finally gave up after being pressured by other countries. It took until 1993 for the last Soviet to leave Lithuania. No wonder these people celebrate independance day. All the statues (Lenin and Stalin) that dotted the country have been moved to one park.

Their claim to fame is being the geographical centre of Europe.
Bye for now,
Donna


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

22
2

Mansion on Galve Lake at Trakai. Wealthy family lived there until 1939, boarded up ever since.
33
3

Castle on an island outside Trakai.
55
5

This is an altar in a briefcase used in a deportation camp.
66
6

And finally, a Hare Krishna rally. They're everywhere, they're everywhere.
77
7

Nun in comfy shoes. When the cathedral bell rang nuns appeared out of nowhere.
88
8

Bunch of nuns running for Sunday evening services. Religion isn't big here, but church attendance is. Throwback to the many years when church wasn't allowed.
99
9

Selling flowers on town square.


26th July 2006

Lithuania...
Lithuania looks quite clean and well kept - perhaps pride of ownwership now the have their independence. By the way, the Moscow subway stations were unbelievable! I can't imagine the cost of keeping them looking like they do. Your pictures of Russia were not at all like I would have expected to see - I was very impressed. Take care... Marg

Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb