the final Vilnius - that will have to do


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Vilnius
September 6th 2009
Published: September 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Vilnius - the slow finale

yes well it was a very slow start - as well as being an Accidental Tourist I have also become a less than fired up get outta the door one. Have to set an alarm almost to get up for breakfast at 10 - then take more than 3 hours to get out the door. Mind you (he says as an excuse) the weather here has been rather spotty. Its about midnight (I work hard at this y'know) and there have just been some spots of rain - which is better than last night when the rain was relatively serious. Tonight it just turned COLD - and we are not talking Riga bit uncomfortable cold, but fleece jacket for the first time cold before going ofr dinner. Never thought it was going to come out of the bag this trip previously but tonight v happy to have it - and it was needed.

Before I fall asleep today's hghlights: the Museum of the Genocide - not about the Jews but about the KGB prison and how they did away with many Lithuanians. Catholic church and others, not to mention the forest etc partisans who fought against the Sovietskis. There is a big former jewish killing fields site at Paneriai - and there is also the old castle site of Trakai - but with only one afternoon left did not have time to get to either of those - unfortunately - Trakai is one of those very picturesque locations that alwayy feature - so don't anyone tell me what I missed out on- I am not interested! it was a bit iike getting to (not) the palace at Rundale nr Riga - there is only so much time in the world etc etc.

Some chocolate cake torte thingy with a coffee as a late afternoon tea - then to hotel to get the aforementioned warm jacket after many shots of the Orthodox church up the road.





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Vilnius - yes, its Uncle FrankVilnius - yes, its Uncle Frank
Vilnius - yes, its Uncle Frank

the first statue in the world to Zappa apparently - why not?


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb