Day 3 - Plateliai to Silute 102 miles


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Vilnius » Trakai
May 9th 2012
Published: May 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The morning was bright and sunny and we had our obligatory photo on the pier. We headed out of Plateliai onto a long uphill climb to the A11 but at least it was warm and the scenery was stunning. Turning towards the coast and we met the Baltic breeze which slowed us down by 20%, luckily the Ibuprofen was working but my leg was starting swell and the left ankle started 'twingeing'. We recognised that we were lagging behind our time splits and decided not to have a dip in the Baltic but did follow the National Cycle route 10 which took us all the way into Klaipeda via a beautiful, car free, trail through woodlands with stunning views of the Baltic to our right. Met up with Rugute and more captains at Klaipeda - we luckily decided to change our Day 3 destination to Silute rather than Taurage as we wouldn't have got in before dark. I say luckily, because we met a diversion as the road was closed - for 15km's, which meant we wouldn'y have got to Taurage until 11pm! The families we met in Silute were very nice and yes the town was a little old Soviet style, but I liked it. My knee was well and truly swollen now and the ankle was looking raw. Good news! We are travelling alomg the river tomorrow and that had great memories last year of tanking along at 22mph...very, very weary but more positive about tomorrow and hope that the ice bag works.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb