The Lithuanian Sahara


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Nida
September 5th 2007
Published: September 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We woke at nine and went straight down to breakfast. It was yummy. There was an array of food available, even the obligatory curd tart. We spent most of breakfast debating whether we'd be asked to pay, but we weren't.

Yesterday we'd seen pictures of "The Lithuanian Sahara" so we decided to go on one of the set walks around that. By set walk it was more of a walk in the general direction of a set walk that probably existed. Once we were at the top of the hill the view was amazing; the dunes stretched out below and the lagoon on one side with the Baltic sea on the other side.

At the top there was also a large sundial built in '95 but partially destroyed in '99. The dial was surrounded by a coach party, so we couldn't really see anything, but it wasn't that interesting anyway. From the sundial we could see lots of paths over the dunes, so we set off along one. We reached the border of the national park that separates Lithuania and Russia. We even bathed our feet in the sea whilst an official watched us with binoculars.

After spending the best part of the day walking in the sun, I laid down after a shower for a quick rest. Around eight that evening I woke up to find that we'd managed to sleep for four hours.

We found a cute little beer garden to have something to eat and drink. I had a cheese roast with vegetables which was a huge piece of cheese cooked in an oven. Original.

We went for a last stroll around the bay and harbor and then went back to the hotel to enjoy it for the last night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.568s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 126; dbt: 0.4832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb