Lituanica vs Vilnius U.


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Kaunas
August 18th 2007
Published: August 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we played a doubleheader against a University team from Vilnius. We were small in number—only Shaq, Kisa, Marijus, Draugas, Yagi, Gedas, and myself were playing from the first team. The team was filled out by Simas, a player for the second team, and Edgaris, who plays for the Senior League team.

Nevertheless, we won 19-0 and 23-0. Both games were stopped after five innings because of the 10-run slaughter rule.

In the second inning, Marijus Dargus, who is arguably our best pitcher and, before his knee injury and surgery, one of our best hitters, hit a shot to right field……one of the furthest balls I have seen hit in Lithuania. It was absolutely crushed. Marijus is just back from his injury and this is only the second weekend of games he has been hitting, and the first weekend he has played the field (first base). As he trotted around the bases, the image of Kirk Gibson’s famous world series home run and handicapped trot came to mind. This guy, unable to run properly and probably should not be playing at all (rehab for his surgery usually keeps people out for several months), trotting around the bases as the other team’s outfielders search in the high grass beyond right field for the ball (of course the ball must be found as it is one of two game balls we have for the doubleheader).

I played 3rd base the second game.

We have seven more weeks of games until the end of the season. This was an easy weekend, but beginning next week the games will become more competitive like they were at the beginning of the season. There will be the Lithuanian Cup (a competition between all teams in Lithuania, all divisions), the Lithuanin Championship (just the four teams in the top division compete), and the Interleague Championships (the two top teams from Lithuania and Belarus will compete in Brest, Belarus).

And then what? Off to China, most likely, to see my brother.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0942s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb