Riga II


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Riga Region » Riga
July 7th 2015
Published: July 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Kipsala island in Riga - example of Russian Historic buildingKipsala island in Riga - example of Russian Historic buildingKipsala island in Riga - example of Russian Historic building

Originally for workers during Russian Imperialism
Today we biked about 15 miles for a total of 472 miles.

Warm, but not hot. No rain but breezy at times.

After breakfast, wondered about some. Met at the Bike shop for our 2 planned bike tours today. Marcus, who is a transplanted Aussie, took us on a tour of the Kipsala, the Citadel and Art Noveau neighbors. Looked at redevelopment and refurbishment of Russian Wood Historic homes. Most have been torn down, but there is a movement to save this old relics from the Russian Empire ( not Soviet). They are mainly in Kipsala, on the other side of the river from Old town Riga.We also visited the Art Noveau area and identified several fascinating buildings in this style. Riga has the largest number of these buildings in Europe. Had a quick lunch and then we were on our way for our second tour of Riga with James, another transplant, this time from the UK. He took us to Muscowy section of Riga with a somewhat positive socialist bend to his presentation. This area is pretty rundown with all the issues of an impoverished, forgotten area of a big city. Drugs and crime. He recommended not coming here during the evening. Many old Russian Wood Historic buildings. This happened to be the center of the Jewish ghetto during the WWII Nazi occupation. Of course all the Jews were exterminated. Grounds of the Jewish cemetery are here , but no markers are evident, having been destroyed by the Nazis or looted by locals. We also went to the Riga Great Cemetery. The Bolsheviks trashed this graveyard in 1919-20, when they were briefly in power.Had a fine dinner at the Flying Frog.Nice evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb