And we begin in Riga!!


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Riga Region » Riga
June 12th 2006
Published: February 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

(Welcome to the backlog/catch-up sessions. Back in June this year, two-days before we departed to South America, we spent two weeks in the Baltics and Russia.)

12 June 2006

Landed in Riga at 7.30pm to glorious sunshine and warm weather!
Managed to get the bus to Riga with some Aussies (all very happy with their 3-1 win against Japan in the World Cup).

On arrival at the hostel we were given free beer! Bit of a novelty.
The 5 of us went to explore the vast expanse that is Riga... it's actually surprisingly small (and apparently the largest of the Baltic capitals).

The hardest thing to get used to was the late sunlight. As we were out and about until the early hours it wasnt completely dark until after midnight!

The next morning we went to see the Freedom Monument. Apparently, during Soviet rule, anyone caught putting flowers down at the monument were arrested and sent to Siberia.

Later that day we went up St Peter's Church tower for a different perspective on the town. Wonderful day for photos as well.

The next morning we hopped on a train and headed for a beach town called Mojori for some relaxing beach time. It's only a 20minute journey and we had heard it was well worth a look. It was another beautiful sunny day, so some time working on our pale-english tans definately did us well.

On the train back a nice old man started gabbering on to us in Latvian. We had no idea what he was talking about but he seemed to be enjoying himself. Eventually he realised that his humourous observations were falling on deaf ears... but that didnt stop him, he just started to speak slower.
He did help us work out where to get off though.





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



7th February 2007

thanks
nice to hear about the place! I am going there on Fri, looking forward to it!

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb