Spoleto, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Spoleto
May 25th 2008
Published: May 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

May 23, 24, 25, 2008

Spoleto, Italy

After 2 good long days on the road we arrived at Spoleto with an overnight in Cosenza. Spoleto is a town we drove through on our last visit to Italy and at that time we decided we would have to come back for a longer visit to check it out.

This town has a lot of old Roman history with a very famous and very high ( 80 meters and 230 meters long ) Roman aqueduct that crosses a large valley. Known as Ponte delle Torre. As usual there are the way too many churches and a lot of neat stuff to see if you're into ancient Roman history including amphitheatres and fortifications. The engineering involved in building the aqueduct is amazing considering the time it was built and the tools, etc that were available at the time.

We spent 2 nights here and did a lot of walking ( mostly up hill it seems ), some relaxing and enjoyed 2 very good dinners at local restaurants. Spoleto has a lot of museums and is the home of a very important "Performing Arts Festival” every year. This is a nice place to lay back for a couple of days or just wander around the old midieval city.

Tomorrow we will drive 4 hours to Venice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.339s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0796s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb