Perugia


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Perugia
October 22nd 2011
Published: October 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Perugia, day one and two
Oh boy, I don't even know where to start.  
Perugia began with our host, Paul, greeting us at the train station.  We drove to his house, which was an adventure in itself.  First off, he drives a Range Rover in Umbria (the state we are in).  I knew something was a little different, because it's twice the size of any vehicle here.  Paul lives at "Il Castello di Mongiovino," which lies at the top of the hillside covered in olive trees, overlooking the entire town below. His driveway is at least a mile long, most of it directly uphill, and all of it pothole-riddled gravel.  Awesome!  His home is one of a few buildings that make up the estate. They are all an amazing sight to see. Hundreds of years old, these stone buildings are straight out of a romantic Italian movie.  If you didn't already know, "Under the Tuscan Sun" is one of my favorite movies. It's just like that. Except we are in Umbria, which is just next to Tuscany.  
Anyway.  
The first night Paul brought us to meet the Count of Il Castello di Mongiovino.  I don't even know where to start with that man.  He's like the real live version of "The Most Interesting Man in the World."
We will come back to him later, hopefully after I get a better chance to meet him. 
Paul, Lindsay and I went out to eat at a local restaurant and our formidable guest ordered everything for us and even picked up the tab, which he has done every time since then.  Amazing guy.  We came back to the house and sat by the fire and talked for hours. Lindsay and I were exhausted from traveling and walking everywhere in Rome, so we went to bed early.  
Sidebar:  I use the term "early" very loosely here.  Italians eat dinner at around 10:00 pm, to use that as a frame of reference.  
Day Two:
We decided to sleep in, so when I woke up from the sun shining on my face, it was a very pleasant feeling.  I stretched and looked out the window to the most breathtaking view; the olive tree laden hills of Umbria.  Words can't begin to describe how amazing it was to feel a million miles away and the hustle and bustle of normal life back home.  A girl could get used to this.  
We woke up late, so Paul already had a fire started, coffee on, and he had gone to town to get us some Italian pastries for breakfast.  He's really great about helping us try to see, hear, smell, taste, and learn as much as we can about Italian, and Umbrian culture specifically, while we are here. We got ready and headed into Perugia for Eurochoc, and to meet up with his friend, Allison.  Eurochoc wasn't the main objective in Perugia, but it happened to be going on while we were there, so it was an extra event to experience while here.  Turns out, it's just like the Minnesota state fair, but instead of fried-everything, they have chocolate.  It's funny... The locals hate it, but tourists (mostly Italian) trample the city to experience the event.  It reminded me of the 4th of July in Spicer...times ten.  It was great to experience, but once is enough for me!  we were supposed to meet up with Sam, but she unfortunately missed her train, and since Internet and cell service is a lot harder to come by in Italy than expected, we waited a good two hours at our meeting point before finding out they wouldn't make it.  Oh well, it was a good rest after climbing the streets of Perugia.  Who knew it was as hilly as San Francisco! 
Paul has been such a great tour guide.  He showed us all around Perugia.  We saw so many beautiful areas.  I even snapped a photo of the prison and college Amanda Knox was in.  I figured some of you would get a kick out of it.  😊
After we were finished with Eurochoc, we met up with Allison, Paul's friend.  She despises Eurochoc, like apparently any good local does.  She's English, so it was great to have people to have normal conversation with.  I should have mentioned, Paul is from the states.  Lindsay knows his brother, and that's how we managed to snag his awesome adventure. 
We all went out for a drink, because apparently 7:00pm is too early for dinner and nothing is open yet.  Once we headed to the restaurant we quickly realized that Allison had ins with the owner.  She's a great lady, so of course we were treated with special care.  I had a fantastic steak with truffles, with a couple glasses of wine and dessert. It was a huge meal that I thoroughly enjoyed.  I'm still getting used to the three course meal idea.... I can't handle all of it! 
After dinner we went to another bar for a night cap, and I had Limoncello.  The night life is abundant in Perugia, but people don't drink much. Apparently Italians frown upon drinking in excess.  But they don't care as much about young Italians roaming the streets until 4am smoking weed and doing blow...
We left around midnight (again... early) and started the long journey home.  Our car was parked about 20 minutes away and that seemed like 10 miles after walking, eating and drinking all night.  
We made it back safely and fell asleep around 3am.  Paul let us sleep in and that we did.
Things I learned today...
Italians don't care about stop signs; they're just polite suggestions.
Prices for everything change if you're a local (or you're with one!)
There is no chance for an Italian to be overweight with all the walking they do.  I wish it was the same in the US.
not many people drink soda.  Coffee (espresso) after dinner always.  Cappuccino in the morning. 
Italians are rich with tradition.  They like things that way and they look down on people who don't follow those guidelines.
Being polite will get a foreign girl with no Italian skills everywhere.  Everyone is very kind here.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb