Rain seems to ruin everything!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Perugia
May 16th 2010
Published: May 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

5:35 pm

Bon journo!

This morning we slept in and headed to Saint Lorenzo’s for mass at 11:30. The service wasn’t quite what we all were expecting. After seeing the intense and awesome artwork adorning almost every surface of the church we expected the service to leave us feeling as awestruck as the church itself but it was a pretty basic service. There was a choir that sat off to the left of the alter that sang all of the songs and there weren’t song books for us to follow along 😞. It is reaaaaaly hard to stay awake during a sermon that is all in Italian.


After church a few of us had a picnic on the steps of the cathedral and then our group headed to the Archeological Museum of Perugia. The Museum shows various archeological artifacts from Etruscan times through today. They had a large collection of Etruscan urns on display. The Etruscan’s believe that death was another life and that their tombs needed to contain everything they would need for the afterlife, similar to the Egyptians. Most of the Etruscan urns had a sculpture of its patron reclining as they did while they ate with plates in their hands. Many had necklaces of flowers around their necks. On the front of the urns, they had various stories from Greek mythology depicted. (The Greeks had a lot of influence on the Etruscans) The museum also had a replica of an actual Etruscan tomb that was discovered. They recreated the size and look of the tomb and placed the urns they found inside of it. That was kinda interesting because Etruscan tombs are built to look like mini towns with the urns arranged like little houses.

As we were headed into the archeological museum we were invited into another exhibit by a very friendly police officer. He was a specialist in counterfeit money and was working at this little exhibit showing the counterfeit money from all of Italy’s history. It was a neat little exhibit and he was extremely friendly! He even showed us how to tell if a Euro is a counterfeit or not!


After the museum we tried to make it to an ACTUAL Etruscan tomb but somehow no one in the area seems to know how to get there. We thought we had figured out how to get their but the train that would take us there wasn’t going to leave until 5:00 and the tomb closed at 6:30 so we decided just to head back to the hostel.

For supper tonight I think we are eating at a place call “Dante’s Inferno” and then we are hopefully doing some shopping!

Chow!
Katelyn


Advertisement



23rd May 2010

Church in Italian
Wow church in italian....Sounds fun = )

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb