Perugia


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Perugia
February 9th 2021
Published: February 9th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 8th February - Perugia - Italy



Perugia is considered the green heart of Italy due to it’s location in the centre of the country as shown on the map that Patrizia, our guide, showed at the start of our tour overlooking the surrounding area of the city with great views.



Patrizia made her way down the 700 year old steps to the Etruscan Arch, one of the 7 remaining arches that served as an entrance to the city of Perugia in ages past.

Constructed in the 3rd century BC, this arch is one of the oldest pieces of architecture in the city and is considered to be the best remaining example of the cities original defences. The front façade of the arch features some of the original latin inscriptions.



We continued our walk overlooking the beautiful terracotta roofs and viewed a narrow path that went under the road and up into the old town.

This ancient path used to serve as an aqueduct for the fresh water from the mountains up into the city but is now a public footpath.



The Griffen can be seen all
over the town, it forms part of the coat of arms.



The Piazza IV Novembre is the main square with a beautiful fountain, the impressive Cathedral of Perugia & the Town Hall.



Perugia Cathedral originally created in 1587, this cathedral is unique in the fact that its front façade does not face the main square. The front façade is the wall that remains unfinished and this provides the church with a strange look.



This was my first visit to Perugia and I’ve just booked a couple more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement









Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb