Guess who's coming to lunch


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Orvieto
March 25th 2008
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Finally, our time of travel begins. Lucy's been in Rome for two months and I've been for one, which has created a home away from home feeling. It's been great, but there's so much more to see in Italy! We've decided to spend the last month travelling around, and our first jaunt is to the small mountain town of Orvieto, where Lucy's Uncle Nigel makes his home. In preparation, Lucy's Father Iain flies out to Rome and we spend the day sight seeing, with weather showing it's slightly foreboding hand by dropping hail on us in the morning. Yes, hail. There's enough that I have to run back to the apartment we've been staying in (Jennifer's) and grab Iain's umbrella and sweater. Undaunted, we abandon cover and head out.

We see a couple churches, have a terrific lunch, and spend the afternoon shopping for the upcoming Easter holiday. Our walk leads us eventually to Santa Maria della Pace, a medieval church with a fantastic facade. The entryway is down a narrow alley, which opens up dramatically into a tiny piazza dominated by the church front which has a great fresco and is capped by a pretty conical spire. Inside, the church appears to no longer be a functioning house of worship, but has a charming cafeteria upstairs that looks upon it's ancient courtyard.

After tea at the church, Iain gets picked up by Nigel, and we head home to get up early for the stations of the cross.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb