Quiet day!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
June 20th 2010
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.1418, 11.6596

Today was overcast/raining. This is a perfect excuse to do very little, and the kids spent the morning playing and doing some homework. Just before midday, we decided we had to explore the next town (to see if we could buy bread for lunch!) We had previously found the baker at Petroio (the next village) and he was nice enough to reopen his store for me last time at 12.01pm and sell me his remaining bread. This time, at 11.59am, he and his wife were cleaning the car outside the bakery, and couldn't believe that the same Aussies would turn up at closing time!

Petroio is another of those towns with such narrow streets as to cause marital disharmony – I always say "I think it's just up ahead" and Steven always has to get the car in and out of these stupidly narrow streets- and he's been caught once this holidays! After getting the bread, we had a quick wander around the narrow streets, saw some (feral) kittens, and headed home for lunch and another afternoon kip.

It was still raining at 4pm, but we headed off – we had a lovely drive up some bush dirt roads, looking for something that we're not sure exists (some signs referred to Bagnacci, but we don't know if this is a village or not!), saw an amazing private castle in the middle of nowhere, and ended up in Pienza just as the skies absolutely opened. Pienza is lovely in any weather, but it was a bit of bad luck that we saw it twice in the rain this holiday! But we wandered the streets (listening to the shocked Italians draw with New Zealand in the World Cup soccer game) and the shops, before having gelati for our afternoon treat.

Then, back to Castelmuzio, and out to dinner at the bar in town – it does pizzas on Sunday night, and despite the rain, the place was crowded – we had a lovely family night playing a game of “which would you rather???”


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb