Tuscany again


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
September 30th 2006
Published: September 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone
Well we completed the four walks inCinque Terre!! at least Peter did.
The first two, as I believe I said? were a like a promade stroll but with sweaty puffing Americans and other europeans everywhere!!
on Friday we took the train to the 2nd town and walked to Vernazza. It took 1 1-2 hours.
What an incredible walk. Up and down and windy with some steps, uneven and large and small and then narrow paths and sheer drop offs, we climbed and climbed. The scenery olive trees and mountain and wildflowers with sudden incredible views of the previous village perched precariously on the mountain side, awash with pastel colours, terra cotta and yellows and pinks. Then shade. Almost at Vernazza there is a bar perched on the side for the weary traveller! Then we began the descent and the views again of this little village perched on the water and mountain with its lovely harbour for people watching. We ate a pizza, homemade for 6 euros and then we parted, peter to prove he could manage all four of the hikes and me to take the train and lounge on the beach and swim. Alas no swimming, unless you were crazy, as there were jelly fish everywhere and no signs. Several people were stung while I was there and didnt know what had happened!
We had our last meal there and met a guy called Nigel from the group Blondie, for all the oldies, I havent heard of them but he lives on royalties, either in New york or Italy and travels all over, its a hard life!!
We awoke this a.m. to rain, walked a little way to say goodbye to the mediterranean that was misty with the rain and just the gulls on the beach. The local bars just opening for people to have a coffee and whatever.
The trip back up the windy roads was easier this time to the Autoban.
I didnt mention last time that the first part going towards Genoa and back to Florence had a very dramatic backdrop of the stark Alps with, again, little villages perched on nothing it seems.
We arrived back in Radda, to find an apartment for two days, just made it before siesta time!! Found one close by and are off back for bread, cheese and wine and sit by the pool maybe.
Tommorrow is our last day in Tuscany and we head back for Rome on Monday and England early tuesday a.m.
We wil have a last splash out Tuscan meal tommorrow night.
C and P

Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb